Phi Phi paradise or tourist trap


Advertisement
Published: August 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

2nd Island before the desert

Our time in Phuket was at an end apart from a one night sleep over before we were flying to Dubai. We had spent four days with our eldest son, had a great time seeing him and a bit of Phuket and were now going to spend four days on our own on Phi Phi. The previous time we came to Phuket we only spent a couple of hours on Phi Phi and wanted to spend a bit more time on it and were hoping to dive and snorkel. At Phuket we couldn’t snorkel because the sea was too rough and dirty. Another difference from the last time we were in Phuket, because we spent hours snorkelling around the rocks at the ends of the beaches because the sea was so flat.



We were all set to go to Phi Phi and at the last minute Jacques and a friend decided to go to Phi Phi for a couple of days, although they were staying in a different hotel to us. This meant at least that we could spend a couple of hours more with Jacques on the ferry.

How many times do you say goodbye? It was extremely hot in the sun on the ferry, but at least the sea was quite flat. Our ferry took a slight detour for 'do photo' at ‘The Beach’ location at Phi Phi Ley then docked at the jetty at Phi Phi Don. We said our goodbyes to Jacques, then found that there was no transfer to our hotel so we had to take a long tail boat. Nifty but quaint boats these, with their strange engines and extended rudders protruding from the back. Every one was very helpful then 2 minutes into our transfer the boat slowed down and pulled up next to another boat, clearly not a tourist boat with washing hanging all over it, where we were dragged closer with a gaff. Of course all the horror stories surface in our minds and we wondered if they were going to demand more money from us or even the slight possibility that we were being taken hostage, but all they were doing was filling the tank with fuel and we were on our way. Breathtaking scenery with idyllic vistas and views, holiday brochure photo scenes to tempt the most hardened traveller surrounded us while we glided to our destination.



At the Holiday Inn where we were staying, they wheeled out a small jetty so we wouldn’t get our feet wet while we disembarked. We were treated like royalty with refreshing, moist fragrant face cloths and a cool drink. Because we were early and our room wasn’t ready, we walked around a bit, getting to know the area and decided to have lunch, then were taken by golf cart to our room. Such a gorgeous view! If it wasn’t for the lovely beach just below us it would almost not be worth leaving the patio where we could sit with a drink and enjoy the view. Steep steps to go down to the beach but good for those extra calories that we always consume while on holiday. Dinners were enjoyed along the beach at a local restaurant with character. Simple wholesome food, no real variation on the usual menu, but tasty and always full of patrons so a good indication that the food was fresh and enjoyable and very reasonable.



Snorkelling in front of hotel was not the best we've seen but we still spent a good two hours at a time watching sea creatures busy with territorial squabbles, eating, cleaning and chasing away possible predators. The water was like bath water as well as lovely and flat, so ideal for snorkelling at leisure.



A couple of bonus hours with Jacques! We had been communicating with Jacques on the other side of the island and we came to an agreement that they would pay for the trip on the long tail boat to our hotel as long as we would pay for the dinner, then we could spend a couple of hours more with each other, seeing we don't know when we will meet up again. The only way from one side of the island to the other is by boat and the journey is about 20-30 minutes. We had a lovely dinner at Jasmin restaurant next to the gypsy village. In fact we ate all our dinners there as well as a couple of lunches. The boat was waiting for them as pre-arranged and was leaving at 9 sharp, so once again we said goodbye - this time it was strange to see him head off in the dark, on a long tail boat with a poor light to guide them on their way. Reminded us a bit of our trips in Madagascar and Comores! Talk about an emotional roller coaster ride!



Paul went diving one morning, but because they were heading to an area with more choppy seas because of the monsoon, I decided to stay behind and snorkel and swim in front of the hotel. A highlight for him was to see his first seahorse. At least I had some photos to look at and it was great to see the artificial reefs developing quite nicely to bring back the coral hopefully to its former glory.



The next day we decided to hire a longboat for a few hours and go snorkelling at some islands close to the hotel. I can highly recommend snorkelling at mosquito and bamboo island. Plenty of coral, even though some of it was destroyed but others doing very well. Schools upon schools of various sized fish, some swimming around right in front of my mask. It felt like I was in a giant fish tank while they surrounded me. Our long tail boat skipper took us to an atoll between the islands as well with just as good snorkelling. I could snorkel continuously in those conditions with so much to see!



Phi Phi is certainly paradise with plenty of tourist traps but we were fortunate that we were on the quieter side with our own little stretch of paradise and had a pleasant time. On the other side of the island, though, it could be a different story as there is just so much activity there. We do prefer a bit more peace and tranquillity! Having said that, we found that for this time of the year it certainly is far quieter than when we were last there, but there is still a huge amount of tourists.



The ferry back to Phuket was not quite as smooth as when we went to Phi Phi, but I was extremely pleased with myself because I didn’t get sea sick (I did have some chemical assistance though!) it was glorious to not feel queasy at all but I sympathised with those that were a bit green around the gills…been there, done that!



We spent one more night in Phuket, lazing around in true island style, then onward bound to Dubai, but that's for the next blog...


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



6th August 2014

great Pics!
Looks like a very relaxing holiday! Glad you made it to the other quieter side of the island!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 15; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0311s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb