Islands and more island - Koh phi phi and Phuket


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
September 15th 2013
Published: September 15th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Grant at koh phi phi look outGrant at koh phi phi look outGrant at koh phi phi look out

not a bad view for you bday
Blog - Ko phi phi



After some very tranquil and relaxing days on koh lanta we headed off to koh phi phi , the word Koh in Thai basically means island so any place with a koh, were on a beach. Now koh phi phi is a pretty small island so small there are no cars and at points you can pretty much walk the width of it in about 10 mins and that's including having a brows in the stalls along the way. We arrived by boat in to the small port and headed off to our guesthouse which was located up a very very steep hill but the views of the ocean made up for it once we caught are breath. Koh phi phi might be small but it packs a lot in its a party island with lots of bars stalls and shops everywhere you look, while here it's been grants birthday so we walked up to a view point that gave you an amazing view of the island and that night we went for a lovely meal on the beach. While on koh phi phi we had to go see maya bay which is in the movie the beach and also on any image you see of thailand. Now I've been here before and its a really naturally beautiful place last time I was here we pulled up in the bay and off we went for a look, simple !! not so this time. We where dropped off around the back of the island where we had to jump off the side of a very high boat which everyone did except me I'm scared of jumping in water so I kinda just sat on the edge of the boat having a mini break down and making weird panicked sounds while a Thai bloke in another boat tried to give me a count down in broken English, anyway I screamed a lot, jumped, swallowed half the ocean and scared the crap out of a poor Thai mans and grant. From here we swan to some rocks climbed and slipped over these till we reached a kinda rope ladder that had been started but not finished and hulled our selfs up the side of the larger rocks till we where met by stairs and a jungle path leading us to maya bay. To say it was an obstacle course would be an understatement but it was a laugh and maya bay was worth it its truly a beautiful place. On our final night in koh phi phi we headed to a Thai kickboxing bar which was really fun and scary watching the professionals at one point one of them got kicked in the head and came flying out the ring and landed on someone table (the scary bit), they also tried to get tourists up to fight and quite a few didanfter a drink or two. Koh phi phi has been a whirl wind couple of days and where now off to Phuket.



Phuket's another island although they dropped the koh as its so big it really doesn't feel like one, now I thought I'd never been to Phuket before so as we got a taxi from the peer And drove through the old town I start telling grant how all the building look just like this place I went to called krabi and how much this place looks like krabi ... Umm ok so maybe iv been here before and it's not krabi it's Phuket old town !! How did I
blue seablue seablue sea

koh phi phi
forget ??, we are staying about a 20min taxi ride away from old town in an area called patong beach. Well how to describe patong, it's like Malaga/Zante on crack with added ping pong shows and seediness like you've never seen, oh and the average age of the clubers is 45 and up. It's a really weird place and unlike anywhere we have been in thailand so far its full of bars with girls dancing on the tables middle age men walking around with their thai girlfriends! and people trying to get you to see ping pong shows! We did not see a ping pong show although we did see a lot of couples go in (weird). Patongs been an interesting place its some where I wouldn't come back to but I'm glad we got to see another side of thailand and there was some really good street food so we can't complain.

After a few days in Patong we headed to the much more quieter or so we thought old town of Phuket it turns out that there was a Chinese festival taken place on our street which was so much fun the street was packed with market stalls, street food and lots of stages playing music and dance performances every night we watched the teens of Phuket cut the rug on the stage with a screaming audience of teen girls it was the best entrainment.

Now in patong I started feeling ill like really ill and this continued in old town as well I had a really high temp, fever, aching limbs and crazy headaches it turns out I got dengue fever which u get from an infected mosquito , it was horrible but there's nothing you can take other then paracetamol and just rest so I just had to ride it out.



Now we had read about a gibbon monkey rehabilitation project in Phuket that sounded really cool , now in lots of places in thailand men walk up and down offering tourist pictures with gibbon monkeys, the monkeys look so sad and it just felt wrong to see a wild animal with a chain around its neck being used as a tourist attraction, so far in Asia theres been many opportunities for us to have pictures with or ride elephants, leopards, tigers, monkeys and much more but we have just stayed
food on wheelsfood on wheelsfood on wheels

chinese festivel old town
clear as the conditions and treatment is so poor and its just felt wrong. So when we heard about the rehabilitation project it seemed like good idea and it was its a really cool project, we spoke to a worker their who explained how they release the monkeys back in to the wild and how some just couldn't be rehabilitated due to ill treatment and disability so they provided a home for them. It was a really worth while trip and where both so glad we did it.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

kickboxing barkickboxing bar
kickboxing bar

koh phi phi
chinese festival chinese festival
chinese festival

old town phuket
Junk boat Junk boat
Junk boat

koh phi phi
boats boats
boats

koh phi phi


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 14; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb