Day 15: PhiPhi Adventures


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
January 21st 2012
Published: February 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This am we had to set our alarm!! For 6.40am! But we knew it would be worth it! Early buffet breakie and then we got our gear and headed out the front to wait for our taxi van to pick us up. Mum was really anxious cos she gets very seasick and we were going to be on a speedboat for a lot of the day. We got to Chalong bay were the trip started and there were sooo many people. We all got given a coloured heart sticker and whatever colour we were corresponded to what boat we were in. Luckily as we arrived we saw that they provided us with free sea sickness tablets so we both took one just incase. We rented some fins for snorkelling and then had to wait in the scorching sun for about half an hour for everyone to be organised. Then our green group all headed off to our speedboat. It wasn’t that big and there was probably about 40 ppl on ours. We sat at the back facing the way wer were going so mum felt a bit better. She had been told to put an earplug in one ear so she tried this and apparantley it worked a bit. She was very good and I was really proud of her cos it was pretty bumpy at times!

The first stop was 40 mins away much to mums horror! And we went to Phi Phi Ley island first. We initially planned to go to Maya Bay first but it was so busy that we stopped a bit before it and were able to feed the fish bananas and snorkel. It was amazing being able to just jump off the boat and snorkel. It reminded me heaps of Croatia. Such clear water except it was green this time not deep blue. We both loved it and spent maybe 45mins snorkelling. Such amazing coloured fish! My fav were the rainbow fish and iv decided when i get a house im gonna have a big tank with rainbow fish in it! J We then cruised over to Maya Bay which was absolutely gorgeous! It is where the movie The Beach was filmed. The sand was so so white and the water was completely clear! Was ruined a lil by so so many tourists and speedboats there but nevertheless it was stunning. The amount of ppl thinking they were models doing sexual swimsuit model shot in and out of the water was amazing! And hilarious! We then went for a walk through the jungle which I recognised from the movie and headed to Loh Samah Bay to have a look at from above. Again heaps of people but so pretty. We only had 40mins at these beaches unfortunately and then hopped back on the speedboat.

The next stop was Monkey Bay which was a tiny lil bay with literally monkeys everywhere! Climbing the trees and rocks and wandering the sand! So cute and crazy! Only 15mins there to take some pics and we got told to not go near the monkeys as they will bite or attack cos they’re wild monkeys.

We then cruised off to Phi Phi Don island. The biggest of the two. Lots of ppl live on this island and you can actually stay here in very nice but expensive accommodation cos mum and I actually looked into staying here at one point. It was a pretty cool island with again a beautiful beach but it was shelly where we stopped for lunch. We had a buffet lunch included in our tour with pretty nice thai food but the chicken legs were the winner on the day! So yummy! We then had a wander and got an icecream and visited all the lil bars on the beach. There was a beautiful resort with a big pool but we decided we were glad we didn’t stay here cos there are so many tourists everyday literally walking right through the pool area almost. We saw a sign pointing to the tsunami village so we tried to find it but we don’t think we did. We saw an area which may have been but also may have just been a rubbish dumping site. There was a random toilet in the middle of it though. Hmmm not pretty L

We only had an hour or so here for lunch and then got back on the boat and sped to the other side of the island to Khai Nok island. This was also really pretty but not quite as clear waters as Maya Bay. We had an hour and a half here for lying in the sun, snorkelling, swimming and cocktails. We lay under the umbrella for a bit cos it was so freaken hot, then went and got a cocktail after some snorkelling. The cocktail was a Mai Tai in a real pineapple! So cool! We headed back to Chalong bay again after this to go home. It was an awesome day with such beautiful beaches!

When we got home we decided to get a taxi into Phuket Town as we heard that there was some really popular night markets there. It was an expensive taxi and took like 40min! We were just hoping it was worth it cos we were missing our fairly regular massage for it. It turned out to be really cool. Apparantley these markets are more for the locals not tourists so everything is much cheaper than markets in Patong and Bangkok and Chiang Mai. And we could tell the diff. Mum and I both bought another pair of glasses cos yesterday both of our pairs broke (the ones we got in Thailand)! Worth every cent of their 3 pounds! And we paid 100 baht! Thats like 2 pounds! Crazy! We had dinner at a lil weir restaurant where it seemed like they seated us in an outdoor restaurant next door that wasn’t actually theres! We were kinda at a big table on our own with none else around and they seemed to keep forgetting about us quite frequently! We ordered satay chicken sticks and fried prawns. They were both awesome but very small so we left feelin slightly hungry still. But all was ok when we found choc dipped bananas and hundreds and thousands at the markets! It was AMAZING! Mums not a huge fan of bananas so i endulged in most of it! Mmm! Good markets and we both bought a few things for other ppl and I bought a pretty cool t-shirt type thing for really cheap. Mum got a crossover bag which she has been looking for the whole time wev been away and when I saw it I just knew shed want it – and she did!

It was a good night at the markets made even more hysterically hilarious when we asked for a taxi back to our hotel. The guy we asked knew where it was and told the other guy the name of our place. He nodded and took us to his random car (which we were getting quite used to now! Firstly, im not actually sure if he had his licence! He was driving in 3rd gear the whole time even after being stopped at lights and so we were shuddering constantly which already had us in hysterics. We were chatting away to him and his responses were yes, no and giggles. But it wasn’t till we pulled over somewhere and he looked at us with a completely blank look that we realised we were lost, he had no idea where our hotel was, and when we tried asking he didn’t speak a single word of English!!! Mum and I were in absolute hysterics! Even charades didn’t work with him! I thought I did a pretty good impression of can you call someone but he just copied my charade and giggled! So we were it seemed, stranded, hysterical, having no idea where we were. Then we started seeing things we knew so kept saying go just keep going, to him (which he also didn’t understand) and then we started seeing those same things 2,3 times over and realised we were going round in circles! It didn’t help that it was night and mums direction sense is allllmost as bad as mine! In the end we drove and drove yelling go at him mid hysterics and we eventually found it. The poor guy would never have been able to find his way home!! It was so funny!

So, tomorrow we leave Thailand and each other and neither of us are very happy about that, at all to say the least! But it has been an incredible incredible trip and I am so blessed and thankful that I could share an experience like this with my amazing mumi! I will miss her so so much but we had so much fun (as we always do!) and ill be home in 2 months! J


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0275s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb