P P


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Phi Phi Don
June 20th 2008
Published: June 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We have finally ventured into town here on the island of Koh Phi Phi Don. It has been a long day of sun so you'll have to excuse me if this post isn't up to par. As far as catching everyone up on the going ons in Southern Thailand I shall try to do my best:

Well, the rest of our time on Phuket was great. Like Adam said, we were staying on Karon Beach which was away from the craziness of Patong Beach. The waves were great for the surfers and us brave swimmers and the sunsets were gorgeous. We did venture into Patong on Monday night and cruised up and down the beach road which was lined with one chic expensive open air restaurant after another. We were so famished so we indulged in a banana & nutella crepe from a street vendor (I still believe these crepes were actually better than those from Paris itself.) We then landed upon Savoey Restaurant (actually rated the #1 restaurant in Phuket on Trip Advisor) and had some delicious Pad Thai. Here in Patong the nightlife is unbelievable, every type of creature comes prowling, every vendor tries to see you their goods and every tuk tuk wants to give you a ride. These couple of blocks have a life of its own- crazier than any Cabo or South Beach areas I have seen. We wandered over to Molly Malone's Bar (live band) and watched the numerous older men and their young thai ladies wander the streets- quite the fun past time.

We enjoyed the next couple of days lounging, eating and swimming as Adam's previous post mentioned. Not too many exciting details-and the pictures should do more than any words I have at this moment.

We then took a Ferry from Phuket Town to Koh Phi Phi Don for 350 bhat per person. We are staying at this place called Ao Toh Koh and it is in its own private bay about a 25 minute long boat trip or hour walk from the village. We have a bungalow with a bed, hammock and fan about 100 feet from the beach for 450 bhat a night (13 USD). The staff is WONDERFUL once again (we are seeing that as a common theme here in Thailand) Adam has fallen in love with our place, and while I love the character, I am still getting used to our cockroach, hornet and lizzard friends- thank goodness for the mosquito net! The day we arrived was the night of the Full Moon here in Thailand. Everyone celebrates this night and our 10 bungalows or so all share the same bar overlooking the bay. It was a great place to celebrate and we feasted on fresh fish caught by our neighbors earlier in the day. I think I ate 4 or 5 of them alone! DELICIOUS.

Yesterday we rented a Kayak and made it down the island and came upon some amazing swimming bays. Every bay we came to we couldn't pass up and we needed to take a dip. There were a couple of luxurious resorts and it was great to relax and take everything in while gliding above gorgeous coral.

Today was a PERFECT day. We had planned on going out with 2 other families who are also staying in the bungalows on a trip to Phi Phi Ley Island. This morning we found out their kids had gotten sick last night so we had the boat to ourselves. Phi Phi Ley is smaller of the Phi Phi islands and much of it has been declared a national park. This island is where "The Beach" was filmed and our first stop was that specific Maya Bay. Gorgeous- we swam here, not very good snorkeling. Our long tail boat captain (who did not speak a drop of English) took us to three different coves around the island- which were beautiful both above and below the water. There isn't too much else to say as the pictures can say it all. One word of advice to anyone coming out here- go by longtail boat rather than speed boat- its not crowded, caters to exactly how long you want to stay at each bay and its slower so you can better take in the scenery.

We are headed off to Krabi, Thailand tomorrow- one of the rock climbing capitals of the world.

Christine








Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Ferry Trip OverFerry Trip Over
Ferry Trip Over

From Phuket to Koh Phi Phi
Just swinging in the breezeJust swinging in the breeze
Just swinging in the breeze

A break from Kayaking


22nd June 2008

amazing!
Your trip looks absolutely AMAZING...I can't believe you saw in person the location of the movie "The Beach"...fyi I read that book and I'm pretty sure there is a marijuana field located somewhere around there...if you are intereseted ; ) Hope the rest of your trip is wonderful!

Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.058s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb