Milky Bay, Ban Thai - and then there were 3


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
December 28th 2005
Published: January 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well, it has rained for pretty much the last week. The hours of sun can be counted on one hand. WHen the sun does come out it is stunning. Our pool overlooks Ban Thai beach and accross the water we can see Ko Samui. Our resort is cool (yep, we are relinquishing our "backpacking shoestringers mantle" for chrsitmas and new year), we have a little bungalow by the beach with an outside bathroom (by design this time!), A/C, wooden floors - the works. We have lady boys waiting upon us hand and foot (much to michael and andrews discomfort), free pool table and table tennis in our bar.

After arriving, as it was raining we thought it best to have some massages or "massah" as the local ladies(?) scream at you as you walk past. I am not sure whether massage is the correct word or whether intimate gynacological examination would be a more apt title. It was very good if not a little personal. There was much touching, slapping / beating and vigorous rubbing. At one point andrews legs were tied up like a pretzel as a lady(?) walked accross his back. But when in Rome......

Michael seemed to bring the sun with him for christmas eve at least and it was great to see a familiar face. It made sitting round the pool listening to asian school kids singing christmas carols a little bit more normal - and i use this phrase in the loosest possible way! He managed to bring out all of our requests and Lara now has an even bigger "wardrobe" than before. Not quite sure we need the extra 3 pairs of flip flops or 6 new tops but she just wont be told. Really need to crack the husbandry whip but she is a bit of a wild card.

Christmas Day was a little weird. As we sat on the beach to open our stockings and presents - thanks mummy orr, the sun started to shine and we tucked into our breakfast of Mcoys beef crisps, galaxy, maltersers and jelly babies. Unfortunately by 2pm the rain had closed in again. But that did not dampen our spirits and we had celebratory beers in the bar - with the rain, the chocolate and the booze it was starting to feel more like home every minute! We even managed our obligatory Turkey dinner. OK it was washed down with cocktails and eaten at a pool table covered in newspaper in Hat Rin but whatever!

Hat Rin certainly knows how to party. The beach is lined with bars and stalls selling "buckets" of killer Thai whiskey (never have Samsong for future reference) and amphetimine Red Bull and anything else you fancy. As long as you have the red bull and mixer you are guaranteed a good night. Cactus Bar quickly became our home from home and dancing on the stage whilst swigging from a bucket (pink of course) was pretty much lara's new stance on the trip. Despite the illness descending over Lara and Michael (thanks for that mikes!) we had some great nights. All finished off by a ride home in the back of a pick up truck at some ungodly hour. We only had one disaster - andrew(a point of contention and still invokes arguments) locked us out of our bungalow, so at 4am in the freezing rain we were homeless. I am sure that this did not help either persons flu but we survived.




Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0228s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb