Another day in paradise


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
January 20th 2008
Published: January 20th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Behind our bungalowBehind our bungalowBehind our bungalow

It's great how shallow these long-tail boats can go while remaining seaworthy enough to head to sea.
(Dave) I'll try not to repeat all of Heather's words, but please to forgive me if I do. It's really cool to have been in this wee town for just a few days and already have local friends. We see the same people a couple of times a day and now they recognize us and seem genuinely pleased. The friendliness and open heartedness is quite fetching. There have been a few folks that seem tired or what passes for grumpy around here, but after a few words in Thai and seeing our genuine liking of them and their country they've always turned to smiles. We even have a favorite puppy and a favorite cat. It's amazing to be surrounded by so many stray dogs yet only twice has there been anything approaching scary. Once in a backwoods area of Bangkok and once crossing the huge granite hills at night in the crazy party section on the SE of this island.
I'm sure Heather mentioned it, but what a bunch of tanned, GQ, poser, wannabe's are down south! I have no real understanding why anybody would come to a remote island paradise to rave all night. Why not go to some place
Our favorite restaurantOur favorite restaurantOur favorite restaurant

It's run by Mahn- a fisherman and sweet man. The chef takes GREAT pride in the freshness and subtlety of her food.
populated and leave the remote areas alone? I understand the fun of the wide open warm beachs, I've even had fun in some of those areas, but now it's spreading to areas that according to last years' travel book is "...so remote that you have to be prepared. Most people get bored with nothing to do but sit in a hammock and read books." THAT I do not understand. Here's my favorite way to describe the people- yoga classes, all natural organic food, and smoking cigarettes. Does that capture it a bit? ENOUGH! Now I'll get back to the places I love, of which there is no small amount!
It was so heavenly to return to our favorite bungalows. There were smiles all around when they saw us, sweaty and exhausted, joyously re-enter their abode. The landlady even gave us a hundred baht off our stay, after Heather asked so sweetly.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Coconut harvestCoconut harvest
Coconut harvest

SO cool to watch these Macaques pick just the ones their handlers want. Very evident intelligence.
Breakfast at North BeachBreakfast at North Beach
Breakfast at North Beach

This is our usual breakfast spot. It's the restaurant of our bungalows, which are just down the beach.
Party townParty town
Party town

This is the start of the climb from Haad Yuan to our "remote" lodgings at Hat Rin. So cool to see these bungalows, bars, and stores nestled in the rocks.
Looks nice, but.....Looks nice, but.....
Looks nice, but.....

Sure, you can sleep during the day. But WOW what noise filled the little valley ALL night long.
Getting OUTTA thereGetting OUTTA there
Getting OUTTA there

These long-tails are an adventure once one is out in the swells!
Favorite puppyFavorite puppy
Favorite puppy

We play every time we pass by. He's on a corner of the beach between us and town so we see him often.
The life....The life....
The life....

This is Heather mimicking a picture of me she took the other day. I, of course, am much more graceful in my open-mouthed-drooling-snoring coma.


Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0458s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb