Island Hoppin'


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
October 4th 2005
Published: October 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hey Everyone,

We found this super cheap internet place so we thought we'd write another quick blog. We are now on the island of Ko Pha Ngan, just an hour and a half boat ride from Koh Tao. The island is quite a bit bigger, but its gorgeous. We are staying at a place called the Salad Beach Resort (http://www.phangan.info/saladbeach/). After looking at the website, I think we got this place for a steal! We are only paying 900 Baht/day (about 20 USD) and it goes for 1700 Baht /night during the low season (which is right now). Lucky us! Last night we stayed at a place called Haad Son Resort. They had a great pool and the beach was nice. The rooms were ok, except for the massive amount of ants crawling on the walls, and that's what made us decide to rent a motor bike and check out our other options on the island. Also, most of the showers that we've seen on the island are simply a hand held shower head in the corner of the bathroom, with no curtain and the drain was just on the floor, there was no tub or basin to hold the water in, it just goes all over the entire bathroom floor and water gets all over the toilet and the sink, but it works. Anyways, in the place we are staying now, they have a regular shower, so that was pretty exciting (with warm water as well!).

Today we rented another scooter bike, so both Justin and I had our own because it was cheaper to do this than to get a taxi from one resort to the next. Then we scootered around the island for a couple hours. We had lunch at the view point restaurant that overlooked 2 different bays, it was very very nice. I ordered garlic/pepper fish and ended up getting the entire fish, head and all, but it was real good.

We also went on 4 dives when we were on Koh Tao Island. They were all real nice and pretty, some had lots of fish to look at. On our 3rd dive, there was supposed to be lots of sharks and this was the dive that you would be most likely to see a whale shark, so I was all excited to see a huge whale shark in the ocean. But unfortunately, we didn't even see any sharks at all! After to talking to a few people, they said it takes months to get lucky enough to spot a whale shark on a dive. We'll have to save the whale sharks for a different trip I guess.

Another little day trip we took when we were on Koh Tao was to a little island called Koh Nang Yuan (http://www.3paradiseislands.com/). It is probably the prettiest place we have been to...I think anyways. It is 3 little islands connected by 2 white sandy beaches and one of them gets covered by water when the tide is high. You can only get to this island by long boat taxi from Koh Tao, which takes about 20 minutes, not even. They are really trying to preserve the island, so you can not have plastic containers or use fins when snorkeling. We went there for the afternoon with a couple we met from England. We went snorkeling which was really good with lots of fish and the water is so unbelievably warm here! It seriously feels like bath water, it's something else. Then we had these coconut shakes at the bar and they put the shake in the coconut and use the juice from the coconut as well as chunks from inside the coconut in the shake, it was awesome. Then we hiked up one of the islands to a view point, which took about 10 minutes, not even. The view was spectacular from the top. You could see white sand beach, tons of different colors of blue and green ocean, the reefs and a couple of lush green islands. Then at 5pm our long boat taxi met us at the pier and took us back to Koh Tao. It was a great day trip.

That's about it for now, we haven't been doing much other than hanging out and relaxing. Thailand's been an awesome awesome stop, we highly recommend it. We leave on Saturday to go back to Bangkok via train and then head to Sydney, Australia. We have some more pictures to post and I think we'll have a chance in Bangkok to get those up.

That's it for now....

Beth and Justin

Advertisement



4th October 2005

lately...
hi beth and justin! i'm always so glad to read how you two are getting one. i think it's so nice to know how different places rate.. like outside a guide or book because they can make any place seem so class. anyways, love hearing from you and hopefully ireland will soon appear on your message board. me and chris always think of you guys and how much fun we had together. take care and enjoy your holidays.
10th October 2005

ISLAND HOPPIN'
HEY BETH AND JUSTIN: SO GOOD TO HEAR YOU ARE ENJOYING THE ISLANDS OF THAILAND. ISN'T THAT GREAT THAT WE CAN MEET YOU TWO IN NEW ZEALAND EARLY DEC? WE WILL MAKE IT A VERY SPECIAL EARLY X-MAS CELEBRATION ON YOUR LAST LEG OF YOUR TRIP. I'M SOOOO EXCITED. WE'LL HAVE TO START RESEARCHING IT. I'LL WRITE ANOTHER LONGER NOTE SOON. STAY SAFE AND KEEP ON KEEPING ON. GOOD LUCK! MUCH LOVE, HUGS AND KISSES-MOMMMMMMY

Tot: 0.296s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 53; dbt: 0.0616s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb