Operation Maggot


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
November 1st 2007
Published: November 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kept awake most of last night by a mother of a storm - the rain was lashing like a massive lash, and the lightening and thunder were just darn scary! the thunder woke me (and everyone at clinic too) and it shook the bungalow and cracked on and on for ages each time. I felt quite scared! loudest i have ever heard in me life.

anyway, we had popped to Haad Rin beach bars and Cactus bar with Alex, Brendan and Sheena to meet Phong (yes, prounounced Pong!) and her chap - Phong is one of the Thai vets, she's about the size of a small matchstick but strong as an ox and can hold down a blummin bison i've no doubt after some of the huge dogs i've seen her restrain. anyway - i bought some Poy, and Alex taught me some of the basics on the beach, there was a really talented fire-poy bloke on the beach and he was amazing - i got a couple of basic moves going and will be practising on our own beach on my days off. its like 2 balls on the end of a chain you swing about, and when you get good you do it with them on fire, it's a lot harder than it looks! and a bit addictive, like juggling i spose.

anyway, had a busy day yesterday and today, ive seen some cracking surgery - the shitz hu i have pics of here is having an op to remove maggots from an infested wound on her face. they basically had to cut her face right open, the maggots were almost eating her eye and brain, we dont know if she will recover her eye, but i watched most of it - they operated for about an hour, it was very deep and took longer than expected. I am so enjoying the ops, im glued! i would love to wield a scalpel i can tell you! i also have started to monitor dogs post op now - and am still learning loads. the vet's are great at sharing their knowledge and i am fascinated. i am getting a dab hand at restraining dogs now while they are trying to bite and escape cus they're in pain and being jabbed or whatever! i managed to get into work for 8.30am yesterday after drinking cocktails at the beach bar til god knows when, no mean feat i can tell you. i managed to rack up a 1,000 baaht bar bill - oops.

then kept awake by the storm last night so a bit tired, early night tonight, gotta be at the clinic for 9am.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb