Partying for the Full Moon


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Pha-Ngan
September 4th 2007
Published: September 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day 156

After a well deserved lie in we eventually woke at around noon. We went into town for a bite to eat and to sort out our flights back north to Chiang Mai before heading back to our bungalow to get ready for the evenings frivolities.

On Ko Pha Ngan there are three big parties celebrating different stages of the lunar cycle, the biggest of which is the Full Moon party which we had come to the island to celebrate. People from all over Asia make the journey to the island and it's was rumoured to have over 15,000 people at each party. The party is legendary across SE asia where the partying, dancing and drinking doesnt really stop for nealry 2 days - if you can make it that long!

On our way back home we bought some bucket ingredients (Samsong, redbull and sprite ... and of course the bucket) before going back to our beach side bungalow to get ready for the night and have a couple of cheeky drinks.

Dressed in our finest (or in Mark's case the only two things that had come back from the laundry) we finished the look off with our classy multicoloured schmurgle hats and illuminous paints we had bought in town adorning ourselves with our nicknames and other tasteful pieces of art.

Draining one bottle of Samsung Whiskey (which i think is actually rum) Kristel went down to reception for another to accompany the mixers we still had left. Suitably inebriated we headed into town for a great evening of chatting, drinking and dancing on the beach stumbling back at about 7 ish in the morning where we fell into bed! An amazing night was had by all.

Day 157

After another lie in we got up and walked around the headland to another (quieter) beach to nurse what was left of any hangovers. Mark, only snoozing for a short while on the beach, fared very well in comparison to many of his other hangover experiences and joined the others for a swim and lunch in the beachside restaurant.

With the distant beat of music and partying STILL going on at about 6pm (the party it seemed was never to stop) we walked into town for dinner and a drink ending up at a bar showing James Bond - we couldnt resist watching the first half before getting too tired and going home.

Day 158

Up early for our bus we checked out, said farewell to Ozzie who was staying on for another few days, and walked along the beach where we were picked up by minibus and taken to the ferry terminal. The ferry and another bus later and we were at Surat Thani airport waiting for our flight to Bangkok and ultimately Chang Mai. We had fun and games in the airport where once again after being deprived of enough sleep - the "tourist slapping" resumed.

After another long day of travelling we landed in Chiang Mai only to find that Keeley had lost her phone somewhere on the plane - numpty! After everyone, except us, had left the plane we were there on our hands and knees searching every inch of the floor to see if it was still there. Unfortunately our search was in vain and all we could do was leave Keely's details with the lost and found office.

Keeley is actually living and working at an international school just outside Chiang Mai in Mae Rim and had very kindly invited us to stay with her for the days we were in the city. So after a taxi, and a stop off for some necessary beers, we arrived at her flat and slumped into the sofa to relax. It felt good having arrived.





Advertisement



Tot: 0.122s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1011s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb