Loy Krathong


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
November 26th 2010
Published: November 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

At LILSAt LILSAt LILS

Lanta International Language School for those who didn't know ;) They let us use one of their classrooms for this cultural education.
A short entry about the festival we just attended here in Thailand.

One of the many beautiful festivals that takes place in Thailand is the one for Loy Krathong.
This is celebrated on the full moon in November. The word loy means to float, and a krathong is a banana leaf cup.

People place a candle and incense sticks in their krathongs and then float them on a local river, pond or in the ocean. You should place some coins, a piece of a nail and some of your hair in your krathong and as you push away the krathong, ask for forgiveness for polluting the waterways during the past year but also for good luck in the coming year.

A friendly spirit arranged so that we could learn how to make our own krathong and how to properly release it out to the ocean.

We went to release them in Old Town on Ko Lanta. Where they had built a big market and a very big stage for the occasion. The had traditional dancers performing as well as the local beauty contest and fireworks. It was a joyful and spirited night that ended all to soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

NitaNita
Nita

Arranging and taking care of everyone. Thank you for all your help. You are wonderful and great.
Krathong PollutionKrathong Pollution
Krathong Pollution

unfortunately many pollute the waters while asking for forgiveness for polluting :S
From forgivness to partyFrom forgivness to party
From forgivness to party

The Krathongs are changing as well as the focus of the festival these days
Night of Loi KrathongNight of Loi Krathong
Night of Loi Krathong

Old Town, Ko Lanta
Food is goodFood is good
Food is good

and the food IS good


Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0762s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb