Lost on Ko Lanta


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ko Lanta
February 12th 2009
Published: February 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Alicia and TerryAlicia and TerryAlicia and Terry

Farewell breakfast in Phi Phi
Hi Everyone Sorry for the lack of blogs but we have been just so busy ...doing nothing. Our last blog left us at Ko Phi phi. The girls headed off to the Full Moon party and we caught a Boat for Ko Lanta. We really enjoyed our time in Phi Phi but now it was time for some remote,quiet, away from it all location.

The boat ride from Phi Phi to Ko Lanta was about 1 1/2 hours. The boat held approx 100 people and was fully loaded. We sat on the outside again versus the inside as the sun and the water is just too good to miss. We had no idea where we were going to stay when we arrived on ko Lanta but knew something good would come up.

One of the things the travel experts advise is never to book a room from someone peddling them to you with brochures etc. So of course when we were approached by a lady pushing her resort on ko Lanta we of course said yes right away...........We knew if the place she was promoting was half what it looked like in the brochure it was what we were looking for...and it was. When we arrived at the dock in Ko Lanta she put us on a truck (in the back with our packs) and off we went. After approx 1/2 hr drive we arrived at Lanta Coral beach resort. It was exactly what we were looking for. Small cabins just off the beach with a small beachside restaurant and Bar. The resort faced due west so we knew the sunsets would be Great.

Our little bungalow had both hot and cold water which is a bonus. The resort is run by a large family where everyone works. The food was Great and it looked like we would be here for awhile. After a Great dinner and sunset we were off to bed. It must be the sun as we find ourselves being really tired at night and going to bed quite early.

The next morning upon awakening everthing seemed good except I had what they call Funny Tummy. Must have had something that didn't agree with me. I don't know why they call it Funny Tummy as what was happening at the far end of the tummy wasn't very funny...oh my. Needless to say we spent the day lounging in a little cabana on the beach and drinking lotsof bottled water. On a side note we met a young couple from Calgary who were one month into a six month world tour. They had decided that prior to starting a family they were going to do some traveling and after listening to their travel plans we were quite envious. Also met a young guy this day from Quesnel who knew people from Golden that we knew(small world).

The next day I was feeling better but still not up to par so Kelley decided to venture off on a snorkeling island hopping tour while I rested on the beach. She had a Great time and snorkeled through caves etc. and saw lots and lots of fish.

The next day I seemed back to normal so we decided to rent a motorcycle and tour the island. The motorcycle cost a whole $10 for the day. We headed south from our litltle resort on a cement road. Over here you drive on the opposite side of the road so we took it pretty slow to start with. After about 1/2 an hour the cement road turned into the roughest dirtiest road we had ever been on but we were bound and determined to get to the end of the island. All of a sudden we hit a large pothole and the motorcycle stopped dead. So here we are in the middle of the jungle with a bike that won't run. I figured we had probably knocked the battery cable off so could be a quick fix. We managed to locate the tools for the bike under the seat but unfortunately none of the tools fit this bike..oh my. we figured we would walk back to the nearest resort and phone our resort to come and fix the bike. We found a high end resort tucked in the trees not far from where we had broken down. The lady at the desk was very helpfull and in fact said her son might be able to fix our bike. So i hop on the back of his bike and off we go. When we get back to where our broken down bike was he hops on it lifts the kick stand and hits the starter....it starts. When we had hit the pothole it had knocked our kickstand down stopping the bike like an automatic shutoff. I had been ready to tear the bike apart and here there was nothing wrong with it. After many thanks to this young guy off we went. I'm sure they had a laugh over us.

We spent the rest of the day touring the island and saw lots of new sites. The locals definately live in poverty here but still seem to be a very hard working happy people in general. This was yours trulys Bday so must admit that never expected to spend a Bday in a place such as this but so glad we did. On the way home we stopped at a place called the Drunken Sailor to get the dust out of our throats.
We spent our last night at Lanta Coral as it was time to move on. We will have many fond fond memories of this place other than my Funny Tummy.

Being the adventurous, risk takers we are and wanting something different......we went a whole two miles down the road to our next resort. This side of the island is so beautifull that although we wanted a change in resort we wanted to stay with the same venue. so here we are at Baan Phau Lae. This resort is similar to Lanta Coral with a few upgrades. Our Cabana is right on the beach and has a few extras like " bedsheets". The beach is also an upgrade as is approx 1 mile long of pure white sand. The sunsets are of course the same ....spectacular. By the way if anyone needs a picture of a sunset Kelley has some to spare..938 to be exact. This resort is 900 Bot per night $30 Canadian. We feel that you can travel really well over here for approx $50 per day for the two us and that includes everything. Today is another relax, get the laundry done, rest up day and tomorrow we are going to leave Ko Lanta unfortunately. We will be heading back to the mainland coast and to a place called Railay.

We can't believe our trip has only one week left. Our original plan was to visit 3 islands on the West coast and 3 islands on the East coast. Looks like we will only cover the West coast this trip. That means we will have to come back next year which we are already looking forward to. Thailand truly is a beautifull place.

Thanks to everyone for their comments as it is nice to know our friends and family are following our travels. Will probably do another Blog before we leave Thailand so until then ...

all the best

luv T&K

Once again thanks to Terry for doing the blog as I was out for a snorkle. Have discovered a new reef with lots of fish just a short swim away. Truly amazing! There is a line up of people to use the lap top so will add some photos later...there is just so much beauty here and as you know pictures can never do it justice. Terry is tired of me taking pictures of the sunsets but as a saying goes here..Same Same but Different...and it is so true. Luv to all..K

PS Mitch as we were shopping in a village the other day..Bon Jovi was singing "It's my Life....now or never..." loudly and of course just to tell us we are right where we should be haha! Also our little bar played Elton John each evening about when we were going to bed....perfect!!
Koh NgaiKoh NgaiKoh Ngai

Snorkle lunch stop



Feb 13th now.....it sure takes a while to complete this task haha! All is well here. Packed and ready to move on to Railay. Sad to leave though as it has been so relaxing for us. Funny that we started this trip with so many places to go and things to see ...like running a marathon and have changed gear and walked 10 km instead. We have never travelled like this and find it wonderful to just do what we want..the only deadline is to be in Bangkok by the 19th!!

The people, the weather, the birds and animals and then the sea life have been amazing...we feel so fortunate to be here! Take care everyone and we will see you soon!

K



Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

Another!Another!
Another!

Same Same but different
Kelley at Koh MookKelley at Koh Mook
Kelley at Koh Mook

Ready to swim through cave into centre of island pool!
"Drunken Sailors""Drunken Sailors"
"Drunken Sailors"

Just had to stop in for a Birthday Beer!
Elephant TrekElephant Trek
Elephant Trek

...decided against it..they looked hot and tired.
Wonderful food!Wonderful food!
Wonderful food!

So many different Thai dishes...gradually trying them out!
Map at our resort!Map at our resort!
Map at our resort!

.... marked in BC are....Vancouver, Nelson, Bella Coola, Prince George, Fort Nelson and Hazelton haha!


13th February 2009

:)
The looks on your faces are full of such genuine happiness. Especially your birthday shot Dad. Just incredible. So happy for you. And dad, the flames are 2-0-1 in their last three so at least thats gettin better. Love you both.
13th February 2009

PS
Nice blogging dad, very nice blogging..... judging by how many alicia has put up, it's clear who likes to blog in the family. Now I know where I get it from! :)
13th February 2009

Good Morning
Haven't read the whole blog yet...time for our walk but I'm loving it so far!!! Love, b
13th February 2009

Cool!!
What a great Blog ! So happy you are both having a great time....you deserve it. Everything good at the house and we are having a good time also. MAYBE I can talk B into a Thia trip next winter.....who knows? Gord
14th February 2009

Gald to hear you are having a blast!! Belated Happy Bday Terry.
14th February 2009

Good Morning
I just want to say one can NEVER have too many pictures of sunrises, sunsets, or morning glories!!! hahaha. I absolutely love the pic of Terry and Alicia at the "last breakfast"...who would ever believe 23 years ago you'd be meeting up halff way across the world...and she'd be carrying on on her own! Loved your marathon vs 10 km walk Kell! Oh gosh..I'm etting all veklempt here...enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! Love ya, B

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0374s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb