Chumphon--A Nice Surprise


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Chumphon
May 27th 2006
Published: May 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

On the ferry leaving Ko TaoOn the ferry leaving Ko TaoOn the ferry leaving Ko Tao

...before I got VERY sick...
Our last afternoon (Saturday) in Bangkok, and we are spending it in an internet cafe because it is air conditioned...extremely hot out there today!


Our few hours wait in Chumphorn was lovely so I wanted to devote a blog to it because it probably doesn't get much attention 😊. (we were there on the 23rd May) No photos yet because I can't download them on this computer, but I'll add some soon.

Just a small town that is mainly just a transfer point for travelers, we were dropped off at the Farang Bar for a few hours. (Just to note, our 2 hour Catamaran journey from Oh Tao was so horrible...I got very sick) Not much to do so we set out with little expectations.

We wandered around the local food market. It was 5pm and everyone was getting food to take home. Fresh vegetables and fruits filled several of the counter tops, such luscious colors. The meats were fresh, from fish and squid to varieties of pork and beef. Add in the different brewing curries and pastes, some prepared and others waiting to be added in at home, all packaged up in little plastic bags to take away. Plus, some bright pink, orange, and yellow different coconut desserts and plenty of peanuts and other snack foods to suit anyone's sweet or savory cravings...I could go on an on!

A few little food vendors outside the market as well, so of course we indulged just a little bit. Dan had his first 'meat on a stick' and my fav was this thin little pancake topped with a coconut flavored marshmallow-like sauce and some orange sugar crystals. So yum!

We kept on walking, past local shops with everything from food to toilet paper to cheap junk. We were the only non-locals around, and we felt a bit more "cultural" 😊 In the cities in Thailand, many people have little food stands/ carts where they actually have the ingredients in big bowls, and you just "order" and they cook it up right there. Mainly fried rice and noodle dishes as well as noodle soups. Its great, and very cheap.

So we found the main street with all these food stands...probably at least 60 or so! After hunting around we found one that actually had a few little tables and chairs next to it so we ordered our
Fruit smoothie - Thai style :)Fruit smoothie - Thai style :)Fruit smoothie - Thai style :)

This is how all the street vendors served their fresh fruit juice and smoothies, hilarious!
pad thai dishes, sat down, and one of the women even served us ice and water. (so nice, but we're watching the water so we just sipped it politely) I think they were really happy that we chose THEIR food over all the others!

I had a couple more coconut pancake things for dessert, and we found a few bananas and a loaf of fresh bread from the bakery to take on the train with us.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



28th May 2006

Cornhusker/Kiwis
Hey guys... loving the updates, I wish you continued fun on your adventure! Just checking to make sure you're all safe and sound after the earthquake in Indonesia... I know it is thousands of miles away, but you both were on my mind when I heard about it. :) Love and luck. Linds

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0525s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb