Ao Nammao near Krabi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ao Nang
December 19th 2009
Published: December 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Koh Phi Phi it was a 90 minute boat journey to Krabi, passing some impressive strangely shaped rocky islands near Krabi. A transfer to our hotel was included in the ticket price but they were just about to leave us stranded as the bus was apparently full, but when we gave them some grief they miraculously made space for us! We drove 5 minutes down the road where they took all the bags off the bus, then 5 minutes later loaded them all back on again and off we went!?!

We stayed in a lovely boutique hotel called Thip Residence in Ao Nammao, 5 km's from Ao Nang and 15km's from Krabi. We would stay there again just for the Thai green curry and banana pancakes! Although it was a bit disturbing when we saw a masked man with an automatic rifle stalking around the back garden of the hotel, we quickly realised it was the owner's son shooting at glass bottles for target practice!

Ao Nammao pier is near the hotel and there's a cafe there where we often went to chill out and soak up the scenery! One day we got a longtail boat from this pier. The pier is pretty quiet so we and another couple had to buy an extra 4 tickets between us as the boat will only go if 8 tickets are sold. It still worked out at 2 quid each and it was better than hanging around for ages waiting on more people to arrive. East Railay is a muddy, mangrove beach which smells a bit and there is a lot of rubbish lying about but it's just a 5 minute walk to the jaw dropping West Railay beach. The Lonely Planet describes it as the ultimate honeymoon destination....... but unfortunately we can't afford the marriage bit now as we've blown all our money on this trip! (Might try to come back sometime soon though!)

From Ao Nammao we also visited Ao Nang, which is just 10 minutes away by car. There's a lot of nice bars, cafes, restaurants and shops on the tree lined road opposite the beach. Unfortunately there's also the usual pests trying to sell suits (as if G needs to be reminded that he's going back to work in a few weeks!!)

Next stop - the island of Koh Lanta!




Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



23rd December 2009

Come home
The weather here has been brilliant. It was so good last night that I decided to take the 5 hour scenic drive home from Kilmarnock. Honestly - you'll be lovin it - you won't even need a fleece for the airport (though I'm sure you have an emergency one hiding somewhere in case a snowstorm blows up in the pub) - t-shirt and bermuda shorts will be fine - that's what I am wearing.
23rd December 2009

Ao Nang
Oh this entry brings back memories! We spent Hogmanay 2003 on Railay Beach and took the longtail boat from Ao Nang IN THE DARK! Only light was a little bulb each boat had on the front to stop them running into each other. Don't think I have it in me to ever do that again! Love the picture of chicken rock! Enjoy Crimbo Day xxx

Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb