“Hotta than Bangkok”


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ao Nang
March 5th 2007
Published: March 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

THIS WAY!THIS WAY!THIS WAY!

Sian freaked when she saw this sign... the funny thing is... the arrow just points along the beach, not away from it... so I'm not sure how thought out the evacuation procedure is...
3 days after being in Bangkok, Sian and I have boarded our flight to Krabi Provence in the south of Thailand. We are heading to Ao Nang, just outside of Krabi town.

Man… this place is beautiful. We’re talking quintessential Thai style long boats coming in from the ocean and docking on the sand of the beach, which seems to go forever. In the background, rock islands that look like they are upside down, pointed end facing the water. The water is blue and the palm trees are tall and thin, and covered in coconuts.

Our accommodation (a fairly lush resort, built right on the beach its self, which I could get very used to - hehehe) is built at the foot of MASSIVE limestone cliffs which tower over the top of Ao Nang. The whole scene is pretty relaxing when you take it all in.

It’s hot… really hot. Hotter than Bangkok, which we didn’t think possible. Bangkok was coming in at around 32-35 degrees with 85% humidity… Krabi we’re talking 37-38 degrees with 100%... it’s stinken!

I keep comparing this place to Bali, only because I’ve spent a few family holidays there and it is
Not far to go now...Not far to go now...Not far to go now...

Sian thought she would attempt to swim out to the island... but freaked out when she couldn't touch the bottom any more...
quite similar, as far as the setting and atmosphere goes. Having said that, its pretty different with regards to the local people’s attitude. The whole world comes to Thailand, and the bulk of Bali’s visitors are from Australia. You can see in Thailand how it has been tarnished. Generally speaking, the Thai’s are very friendly… it is of course, “The Land of Smiles”… but I have noticed on a couple of occassions that I am “just another stupid tourist” and those smiles are sometimes locked permanently into place until they go home. Something that I think is more genuine in Bali. There is no room for bartering in shops… the price you see is the price you get… and occassionally you’ll get a “discount”.

That said, it isn’t enough to turn us off the place. It really is beautiful. Our days have been spent lying on the beach watching long boats and boys drift by, and by the pool drinking beer and listening to tunes. The topic of conversation is usually something to do with a) home b) boys or c) what we are going to eat next.

Tomorrow we are out for the day… leaving at 8.30
Not bad...Not bad...Not bad...

ugh... I feel like a beer...
and home at 5… we’re going island hopping through the Phi Phi Islands (that shocker of a movie with DiCaprio “The Beach” was filmed there…) and a few other. Gonna do some snorkelling and whatnot… all the while avoiding sunburn at all costs. I will not be sunburnt. I will not.

Standby for further updates. = )

(This place makes me feel like listening to: “Neptune Beach” - Nubreed)



Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

the Tuk Tuk's of the sea...the Tuk Tuk's of the sea...
the Tuk Tuk's of the sea...

man... these things are NOISY! and I'm sure the boats on this beach alone contribute to some percentage of the worlds greenhouse gases... but they are pretty aren't they? = )
Pool with a view...Pool with a view...
Pool with a view...

Hmm yes... I feel like another beer...
lookin rough...lookin rough...
lookin rough...

Sian insisted I put this photo up despite the double chin I have happening... there aren't a lot of me on the camera... so this will have to do - hehe
lookin pretty...lookin pretty...
lookin pretty...

bit of a diva, isn't it?
awww...awww...
awww...

this is our little mate... very cute


Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0543s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb