Phuket & Krabi: cities and beaches!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » South-West Thailand » Ao Nang
November 6th 2017
Published: November 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The drive from Pai to Chiang Mai was horrible: the road was in the mountains and made Shaun and I feel nauseous! It was by far the worst journey, although it only lasted for 3 hours. We got in Chiang Mai in the afternoon and didn't do much. We tried to get some rest but people in our hostel were loud. We got up at 4am and found that some people were sleeping on the floor in our dormitory and we had to walk over them to get out. We left our hostel in Chiang Mai at 5am to go to the airport, where we took a plane to Bangkok. Once in Bangkok, we had a 5 hours wait until our flight to Phuket. We had decided at first to make our way from Bangkok to Phuket by train, stopping in a few places on the way. However, we got told the places we wanted to stop at weren't that nice. It would also have taken us at least 4 days and it would have been tiring so instead we booked a last minute flight straight to Phuket so we could enjoy more beach time!
In Phuket, we stayed in a nice hotel near Kata beach. We went to the beach where I got scared by the big waves... Then we made our way to Krabi, a two hours journey that took us 6 hours... Including a 15kms ride that took us almost two hours as the taxi driver stopped to do his grocery shopping and other chores on the way! We stayed two nights in a factory of a hostel (about 200 beds!) in Ao Nang. We met another traveler, Jade, with whom we chatted for two hours in the morning. The sky was quite cloudy but we decided to go to the beach anyway. The beach was very nice. The water was colder than in Phuket but the sea was very calm which was nice! We stayed in the water for a couple of hours, talking to a French family. By then, it was sunny, and we burnt a bit in spite of the sunscreen. We relaxed in our hostel in the afternoon as we both had unhappy tummies again! Shaun went for a walk and in the evening, we had a nice walk and a nice cheap dinner, mixing various street food (which, looking back, was probably not the best idea considering the state of our stomachs!).
The next morning, we got up to take the bus to Ko Lanta, the first island we would stay in. We had booked a private taxi, so we didn't think it would take us several hours as it was supposed to be a two hours journey again but the man stopped several times (including once for about an hour!) without giving any kind of explanation or apology... Shaun and I were very annoyed!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0545s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb