Day Six in Phitsanuloke


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Northern Thailand » Phitsanulok
November 16th 2005
Published: November 29th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Tasty RatTasty RatTasty Rat

The picture pretty much says it all. Fresh cleaned rat, ready for stirfry.
We made a "rat stop" on our way to Phitsanuloke today. Country rat - not it's more sinister urban cousin - is prized as a tasty meal in Thailand. It was a good photo op.

We also stopped at a ceramic factory where we watched artisans hand painting vases, cups and other porcelain dishes. Their work was gorgeous, so I ended up buying a few things. Maybe it's all a cross-marketing scheme. They get you grossed out by the rat, so you'll be excited to buy when you see the lovely porcelain tableware.

Near lunch time, we stopped at the Uthai Thani market. Ole gave each of us a slip of paper with a Thai grocery item listed on it. We then had to take our paper and find the item in the market. I thought that was fun way to get acquainted with the local merchants.

Lunch today was on a beautiful wooden rice barge. Yes - lunch included fresh fried rat. It was kind of crunchy and boney, but not too bad. I liked it OK. We also tried some Jackfruit, which is an enormous fruit in Thailand. The inside comes in segments that look like
Handpainted PorcelainHandpainted PorcelainHandpainted Porcelain

Beautiful designs painted on fine porcelain. I bought a big coffee mug and a couple of small, covered bowls.
giant garlic cloves, but taste deliciously sweet - a little like pear.

Later in the day, we checked into our hotel, had dinner, then went out to party with the rest of Thailand at the Loy Krathong Festival. The annual festival celebrates the lifegiving nature of Thailand’s rivers. Locals float flower boats with candles and incense on the river as an offering to Mother River, Lord Buddha and for general good luck and prosperity. We saw amazing fireworks, and lots of families coming to enjoy the festivities. It reminded me of our street festivals in Lincoln - lots of music, great food and community spirit.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Red ChiliesRed Chilies
Red Chilies

These were huge bags of chilies. Enough for a village.
EelEel
Eel

One of the treats in the market.
BullfrogsBullfrogs
Bullfrogs

Another delicacy in the market.
Jack fruitJack fruit
Jack fruit

I wish I had stood next to this thing for perspective. It's about twice as big as a basketball. It looks and tastes a bit like grapefruit.
Molly Eats the RatMolly Eats the Rat
Molly Eats the Rat

It wasn't that bad. A little crunchy.
River Festival 2River Festival 2
River Festival 2

These are not fireworks, but lights on trees. Imagine stringing each of those branches. They were stunning.
River Festival 3River Festival 3
River Festival 3

There goes my little flower boat aglow with a candle and incense, sweeping my sins down the river...
River Festival 4River Festival 4
River Festival 4

A little girl gets ready to send her boat down the river.
River Festival 5River Festival 5
River Festival 5

The bridge over the river burst with fireworks. In Lincoln, this would have drawn every cop and firefighter within 6 counties.
River Festival 6River Festival 6
River Festival 6

There was a temple near the river where the festival was being held.
River Festival 7River Festival 7
River Festival 7

Fellow OAT traveler, Don, following a group of young monks.
River Festival 8River Festival 8
River Festival 8

The streets were absolutely packed with scooters, buses, cars and bikes - everyone on their way to the festival.


8th December 2005

Eating Rats!
What was this? A Fear Factor training trip? You're tuff!

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb