Sukothai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Sukhothai
March 24th 2010
Published: April 6th 2010
Edit Blog Post

From monkey town we headed to Sukothai via Phitsanulok. First bit by train - 3rd class again (and 3 hours on a hard seat was about all the buttocks could take) but cheap and such a good way to see things. Passed lots of fires in the brush on the way, told this was 'for the mushrooms'. We jumped on a bus at Phitansoluk and headed for Suko..

Stayed in a gorgeous little bungalow with fan and own toilet/shower in place recommended in Lonely Planet called Ban Thai. Set in garden and whole place including building with shared bathroom digs and a bar/restaurant was run by a lovely Thai family, who were very friendly and full of info. Would defo recommend it!

Ate at night market which was bigged up by family and in LP but didn't really live up to the hype. Was small and so much processed food. Did fine some fab nibbles tho including s bag 6 quails eggs, fried in front of us, served with soya sauce. There was a brutish looking dog prowling about who would often take a swipe with his tongue at any low passing food.

We got up early the
Hottest part of the dayHottest part of the dayHottest part of the day

so we climbed a steep hill.
next day and jumped on a Sangthaw (a pick-up with benches in back that people jump on and off of) to Historical Sukothai, hired bikes and pedaled around the various Wats. Much more info available on these ones and even had sketches of what they would have originally looked like. Understood the ruins so much better but there were just sooooo many of them. Best bit was climbing to one Wat that was at the top of a hill - views were amazing but was just so so hot. Gave an American girl we met some suncream, she'd been living in Bangkok for 18 months teaching and had already plastered on factor 30 but was just such a hot day she needed more!

Headed to the local pool for a swim to cool down after later in the afternoon. Was mobbed - full of kids laughing, running, jumping while their parents sat in the shaded stone seats catching up. Wasn't until we got there that I realised I probably wasn't supposed to wear a bikkini and should have brought a t-shirt! Jumped in and out of the from within my travel towel though still attracted a bit of attention - dirty looks from the grans and mums, a diff kind of dirty look from the dads!

Ate at night in a place called Poo, (thought of you Evie and how funny you'd find the name).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0205s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb