Our Waterfalls excursion


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Sot
November 30th 2008
Published: December 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Jac and I were lucky to have our local tour guide Daryl take us around again for the day to see what else Mae Sot has to offer. We were accompanied by his wife and son and it felt like a real family outing. We saw 3 waterfalls and each one was great in its own way.

The first one, Tara Rak was not far from town and you could see the waterfall from the road. Jac and I think this may be our spot to celebrate Christmas with a bottle of Baileys, who needs turkey, ham or seafood! You can also go to the top of this waterfall by motorbike.

Pha Chareon waterfall was the second sight we visited, which is also referred to as"97-step Rom Klao" and named after the nearby village. There are 97 steps before it turns into a river. The sight makes a really pleasant outing or picnic location away from busy Mae Sot border town. That is of course before the locals start blasting the PA system with music! Daryl and I went in search for the top on a really unmarked jungle track overgrown with trees and bamboo. I don’t think we managed to reach it but as there was no clear path and the thought of stepping on any Thailand snake as we thrashed around the jungle was enough for me to give up.

Our next stop was meant to be the gibbon sanctuary but unfortunately it was closed (sorry Mahesh you will have to stay tuned for these photos). The third waterfall, Nang Khruan had been concreted in parts and apparently the Princess had visited the site and toilets had been built for the occasion. We ended the excursion with seeing some hot springs (shouldn’t be big on your sightseeing list) and exploring the beautiful scenery in the outskirts of Mae Sot. According to Daryl this knocks off all the sights to see in Mae Sot so while we have a long weekend next week with the King celebrating his birthday, Jac and I plan to explore Sukhothai, previously the historic capital of the Thai kingdom.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Nat, Tommy, Jac and I at Tara RakNat, Tommy, Jac and I at Tara Rak
Nat, Tommy, Jac and I at Tara Rak

Daryl kindly took us sightseeing again and we were joined by his family
Walking through Nang Khruan waterfallWalking through Nang Khruan waterfall
Walking through Nang Khruan waterfall

Apparently the Princess visited this waterfall and toilets were built for the occasion.
Daryl, Nat and Tommy in front of the Pop Phra hot springsDaryl, Nat and Tommy in front of the Pop Phra hot springs
Daryl, Nat and Tommy in front of the Pop Phra hot springs

Apparently there is a sign about 100 km away advertising this place as a great tourist attraction. It would be safe to say that you can overlook this tourist attraction.


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.026s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb