The Jungle!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Hong Son
December 13th 2012
Published: December 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So after a few days in Chiang Mai we booked to got on an over night stay with a tribal village in the jungle!
It started off with a major upward hiking session through the forest-and a LOT of grumbling from Gillian lol.. A few hours later we reached the first waterfall which was beautiful.. perfect place to shower underneath it! Some of the boys also went through a passage under the rocks through the water and pitch black.. reckoned I could give this a go! Didn't figure on the not being able to see and all the rocks and the water from the waterfall pushing you through! Came out the other side coughing, spluttering and bleeding from where I hit the rocks.. but it was a bit of an adventure..

Then we sat and had our lunch. When we were gathering our stuff together I spotted a snake around a branch about 2 meters from my head, not even! It was confirmation that we really were in the jungle!

Onwards we trekked, Gillian nearly dying on countless occasions due to the dangerous terrain! We arrived at a small village and took some bananas from the trees and chilled for 10 mins and then we went on to another waterfall.. After this we were en route to the village where we would be staying. There was a group of about 15 of us, hailing from all corners of the globe. When we reached our village we had the most beautiful dinner Ive ever had-made with all ingredients from the jungle!

The tribe that owned the village was made up of 40 people, all from the one family. There was a shed-like accommodation and we all slept in the one shed... with the chickens at about 3am because they come inside so they don't get attacked by pumas! There are animals running around everywhere, dogs, chickens, cows, pigs etc.

There was a camp fire where the food was cooked.. everyone chilled out there until about 9 or 10 and then exhausted everyone went to bed.. also there was no electricity in the village so as the fire started to go out that dictated when the fun was over!

Breakfast the next morning was boiled eggs and toast-all made on the same fire!

We headed off for another day of trekking. After a few hours we reached a beautiful waterfall once again, this one had hundreds of fish swimming around your feet! We ate our noodles from the leaves they were stored in and with twigs that we snapped off to use as chopsticks!

After more hours of tough enough trekking in the heat, we reached our next village. We were taken to ride on elephants through the jungle. We had the baby elephant too, so cute!

After that we went to our bamboo rafting adventure which was great and a nice break from what we had been doing!

We had our ride back to Chiang Mai where we chatted tiredly to our fellow travellers! All in all, one of thee best experiences ever!


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb