Camp 1


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Mae Hong Son
February 6th 2009
Published: March 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: A lot of fun 6 secs
Taken from a few resources (UNHCR, CAL & TBBC), below is information about Camp 1. As its the biggest in the MHS region I will be spending most of my time here. Camp 1 is located 25km (approx one hour drive) from Mae Hong Son and was initially opened in 1996 to accommodate around 1,800 refugees. Due to the ongoing fighting in Burma, newcomers have arrived making the current camp population according to UNHCR figures in June 2008, 19,380.

The camp population is 94% Kayah/Karenni, broken down into various sub-groups who speak different dialects and who are mostly farmers. Non-Karenni residents are Karen, Shan, Burman and Pa-o. Of the population in the camp 48% are Animist, 42% Christian (predominantly Catholic) and 10% Buddhist. The Karenni people call themselves Kayah Lee or Kazah Lee, meaning Red People. The Karenni are made up of three main sub-groups (Kayah, Kayaw and Kayan), each with its own language, customs, and forms of dress.

With 16,000 people, the Kayah comprise the vast majority of the camp and are predominantly animists. Traditionally, the Kayah women used to wear heavy earrings that stretched their ears and heavy cane rings wrapped around their legs. There are only around 300 Kayaw in the camp and almost all are Roman Catholics. In the past, they used to wear large plugs placed in their ear lobes. There is around 700 Kayans, also known as Padaung or “long-necked Karen.” Traditionally, the women would wear coils of rings on their necks which gave the effect of a long neck. Many of the women continue this custom, partly because they have become a tourist attraction in Thailand and also after having worn the rings for a long period of time it is painful for a woman to be without them.

Refugees are not free to venture out of the camp without prior permission from the district authorities and face deportation if found outside without a permit. A large-scale resettlement program is currently underway to the United States in the MHS camps starting with site 1 and 2 where resettlement numbers are expected to be around 17,000 in 2009. According to TBBC as of 30th June 2008, a total of 74,804 refugees had expressed interest for resettlement border-wide since 1 January 2005.

Most new refugees arriving in the camps from Burma were formerly internally displaced. Widespread human rights abuses continue to be perpetrated throughout eastern Burma, mainly by the Burmese Army, during military operations in the conflict areas (e.g.rape, torture, killings, and forced village relocations) or through economic activities in areas of government control (e.g. forced labour, restrictions on movement, and land confiscation). Since 2005, a total of 28,904 refugees have departed for resettlement, 69% to the USA.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0548s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb