A vegan-only town


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Lampang
December 7th 2014
Published: December 13th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Only about 65 years ago, a monk called Kuba Wong lived in a rather small temple. The town was actually not existing, it was just the temple. At the same time there was a tribe, the “Karean” (if I got that right) that lived in the mountains nearby. They were poor, had no schools, no doctors and lived from farming drugs. Kuba Wong led the whole tribe down to the temple and within a decade this town was built around the temple (actually there are two large temple areas and the town is built around it). Today they count about 25.000 people here and still are hardly known to google or any other of our well-informed society.

Really extraordinary is, that Kuba Wong ordered all the pople to live vegan. In the whole town, everybody eats vegan. You don’t get any meat, nor eggs or milk. I did not check the whole town but we were told it was so. Only children are allowed to eat eggs and meat, after 30 years ago the Thai King, Bhumibol visited Kuba Wong and asked him to allow the children more than vegetables and rice. Still even the children have multiple days a month, where they do not eat eggs and meat.

I think this is fantastic. Who would have imagined that there is a vegan town, almost aside all maps, right here in Thailand?

Kuba Wong died 15 years ago and we visited his grave, the temples and after that had some delicious vegan food with our local Sont Gham, who I want to deeply thank for his kindness and hospitality.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.141s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0565s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb