Chiang Rai Weekend


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Rai
February 5th 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rong Khun TempleRong Khun TempleRong Khun Temple

the 5 of us outside the temple!
I know that my last comment on the weather said it was getting hotter... well it was. But unfortunatly for the past 2 weeks we've been absolutly freezing. Hats, layers, socks, sweaters and gloves have been an absolute must. Espessially in the mornings and nights.
This Saturday 5 of us girls went to Chiang Rai way up north. It took us 5 hours to do a 3 hour bus ride... we made it though as we always do.
Once we got there we figured we were too tired to go up to the borders so we went to Rong Khun Temple. It is a relatively new temple (still being built in some areas). The catch is that its all white. Its absolutly stunning.. Think of what the Thai white house would look like and you'd get Rong Khun. The weird bit was the inside. They are still painting some of the walls and they are really bizzare. Scenes from the matrix and planets? I cant imagine praying then looking up and seeing Keanu Reeves as Neo. Its weird and i never got the chance to ask anyone what all of that was about. Instead i just admired the outside!
Saturday night
MonksMonksMonks

A group of novice monks by the borders
we went to the night market which is ever better then the one in Chiang Mai I found. There was live entertainment and lots of food. We bought a few presents for our teachers and more hats and scarves!
Sunday morning we woke up early and went to the bus station. There, we caught a bus up to the borders. We finnally saw the golden triangle! For those who don't know, the golden triangle is where Burma, Laos and Thailand all meet. There is a HUGE golden buddah there and ofcourse amazing photo opportunities! We couldn't stand in the other countries because a river seperates all of them but it was a really cool experience. Almost like being 3 places at once.
At 8 oclock Miday (who was visiting a friend) drove us back to Phrae and now i'm back at school. Time is running out so i'm trying to do as many fun things as possible. This week my lucky P5's are learning about the Beatles! They even get to fill in the blanks to "Yellow Submarine" and stand up when they hear their word in "Let It Be". A little unconventional but fun for me. My P4's get
Golden TriangleGolden TriangleGolden Triangle

a map of where we were
the bad end of the deal and will get to sing "head shoulders knees and toes" all week with me. Not quite the Beatles! Only 5 more weeks teaching!
Love,
Em xo


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Golden TriangleGolden Triangle
Golden Triangle

Me under a sign!


5th February 2007

AWESOME
What an incredible temple. Do you have pictures of the inside? Thanks for the preview of this area! Love MUm

Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0375s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb