A journey by train


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 27th 2013
Published: March 7th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Taking an overnight train from Bangkok, which we are still on, heading towards Chiang Mai. We're not really sure what to expect, as neither of us have been to the north, and we haven't read too much about the area. First order of business will be to find a place to stay and something to eat, so hunger doesn't turn to anger. We are sharing our 4 person berth with 2 Chinese college students. Apparently there is a popular movie in China that recently was released, which follows 2 chinese youths on a journey from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. They told us that the movie has sparked an interest in many young people of China to want to come see Thailand for themselves. They had already planned their trip before the movie's release, and are therefore some kind of Chinese trend-setters i suppose.

We have been passing through beautiful bamboo forests and jungle since the sun poked it's shining face from underneath the covers of the green horizon this morning. I was awake at 4AM, long before dawn, still adjusting to a 15 hour time difference, but I'm getting there. We've also been passing some pretty prime climbing among some random limestone cliffs. I'm getting more and more excited for some bouldering and deep water soloing. I find I am a much happier person when I am outside, using my body and challenging myself physically....

FUCK! Train was supposed to arrive at 9:55 AM. Just got the word that it should now be arriving around 2PM. I guess it makes sense. There were a couple occassions where the train came to an inexplicable stop in the middle of nowhere, and then would literally start rolling BACKWARDS. And I believe i saw people fixing the tracks in front of us while we waited. Two steps forward, one step back; Or more like 1 and a half steps back. That seems to be the way of things in the small piece of Asia that i have been blessed enough to spend time in. Asia is NOT a good place to be in a hurry.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb