Good bye Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 29th 2013
Published: March 22nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

Scorching hot day and I've just wandered across town to see what the flower festival is all about apart from the obvious...... There are food stands and market stalls set up everywhere and then tents upon tents filled with flower displays and plant competitions, I come to park I found the other day and what's beautiful scene, the park is even more beautiful with the sun shining down through the water fountains, people are lead on the grass, the smell of food is in the air and children are running around laughing mixed with the gentle soul full music being played into the back ground......

I'm currently sat on one of the benches taking it all in, and trying to calm the burning sensation coming from my lips and stomach, I've just sampled a Papaya salad and boy was it spicy and that's with asking for it mild.

By 6.15 the mini bus has come to take us to the bus station where we catch the night bus headed for Bangkok.

Much different to the night buses in Vietnam, these have two floors and the seats actual seats that recline. Still its fairly comfortable. By 4.45 am we are pulling up along the main road, just round the corner to kao San road. Loaded up we head down kao San road, people are still sat in the bars and on the street bars drinking hilarious seeing people stumbling around.

The place I've booked is over in old Bangkok so across the river, fair old trek. Only made it over the bridge and to a 7 eleven to ask for directions. They had no idea but flagged a taxi down for us....he was the only taxi driver that obviously couldn't speak English! Lol eventually by 6 we arrive at the 'overstay' hostel, it has a really chilled vibe to it, music is playing out and people are still up drinking here swell, rude not to join for one : )

The hostel is painted with murreals I find out that are done by different people that have stayed there, its awsome.

By midday its time for an explore to Kao San road and some food (you can get the local bus from here for 8 baht to kao san) the pad Thai is calling me. The place is back to its hectic and buzzing self, not like this morning which almost felt abit lacking. For anyone that's not been here, imagine a one street market line with stalls and shops and bars, then you have the street food sellers selling pad Thai and fried rice, then the hundreds of backpackers coming and going either starting or finishing their trip but everyone is on a high, and enjoying the atmosphere the smells , the food, the music, the banter with the locals its a top place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The spiciest Papaya salad ever..The spiciest Papaya salad ever..
The spiciest Papaya salad ever..

Looks so sweet and innocent


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0432s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb