Second Week in Chaing Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 15th 2012
Published: November 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

It was our last full weekend in Chaing Mai and we made it a memorable two days!
Saturday morning was spent worrying ourselves about jumping off a 150 foot platform as we headed to bungee jump. We lined ourselves up on the grassy bank and watched as Simon ascended up in a slow-moving lift on the crane shaft. At the top an air raid siren sounded, telling you to jump but only further unnerving you. The effect was obvious on Simon, looking petrified as we egged him on. In the end he was pushed. Not something to give you much confidence. After five falls, I was up. I admired the sweeping landscape stretching out before me but any idyllic notion was forgotten with the tug of the bungee, beckoning me to the edge. Taking a deep breath I let gravity do the rest. The rush of passing air and adrenaline was unforgettable. It lasted only a few seconds before being plunged into the water and pulled back up to let my head fill up with blood (makes you look like you’ve been stung by a swarm of wasps). As we watched everyone get their own dose of terror and excitement Ben and I reckon sky diving is next on the list.
In the evening we chilled at the Lotus pool and then headed in for the now standard night out of Monkey and Zoe bar, followed by an early morning dance in Spicey. I wielded the mike and freestyled with some reggae beats in Zoe (it inevitably turned into Sticks&Stones), and met many sound people including Perry who knew Swinton from India.
The following day, we trekked round the huge complex that is Chaing Mai zoo. We fed Hippos and Penguins, saw the Pandas and watched an elephant get an erection from taking a one ton shit. Till sunset we went from Jaguar to deer, gibbon to koala and still didn’t get round everything! Getting an hours rest up before the night out, we pre-drank watching Alex’s enthusiastic and hilarious dancing to Beyonce. In high spirits, and tanked up on stronger spirits, we Song Thaewed directly to Warmup which was full of Thai’s merry on Red Label and Absolute. Everyone was more upbeat and despite calling it at 3am, our time spent together will make me miss the experiences shared here.
Our language test looms on Friday and I’m praying I’ll retain something more than food and the Thai for ‘Yes, I am drunk’.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.061s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0384s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb