Chiang Mai Cooking


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
July 10th 2006
Published: July 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Ready to cookReady to cookReady to cook

at the Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School
So we got to Chiang Mai after being on Koh Samui and I think we were both in a funk from having to leave island bliss. We just never quite got into the Chiang Mai scene. It was very peaceful but just not as pretty as we'd expected and very humid!

But we did plan a fun activity...a one day cooking class where we made 5 different thai dishes, including one of our favorites, panang curry! It was incredible, although a fair amount of work grinding up the spices to make the curry paste with the mortar and pestle. At home we'll definitely use the cuisinart mini-prep! There were about 20 people in the class...quite a few aussies...and in general a fun - and filling -way to spend the day. And yes...we promise to do some thai cooking for you once we're home.

The other downer was France's loss in the World Cup Finals. I turn it over to Mike for commentary: Having the World Cup going on during the past month while traveling was great. It was something to look forward to watching on TV at night (or in the early hours of the morning) and it provided a topic of conversation with locals and other travelers. No matter where people were from, everyone had a team and favorite players. Unfortunately, for me, the World Cup ended in a terrible fashion. France losing and more even worse, Zidane getting a red card and kicked out of the game with only 10 minutes left in extra time after head-butting Materazzi. Especially when only a few minutes prior to that he had a great goal chance that would have won the game on a header that was reminescent of his goals in the '98 final. Anyway, sadly it didn't work out that way. France lost, Zidane ended his career in the worst possible way, and I spent the next day repeatedly asking "Why?" Well, it sounds like the Italy defender said something really bad to Zidane about his mother and sister which prompted the headbutt. While I am still bummed it happened, at least there appears to be some kind of reason behind it. And although I don't codone it, man, Zidane seriously leveled that guy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



14th July 2006

full?
I couldn't eat for a full day after the cooking class. And the chilis nearly killed me! I hope you guys had fun...

Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0277s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb