Journal day 17- More trekking and jungle fun


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 21st 2011
Published: February 24th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Crazy Guide

Today was technically the last of my 3 day trekking adventure but didn't know what was in store as, being the only 3 day trekker I had been passed around different groups every day. This was good as I met loads of new people but always had to say farewell at the end of the day.

but the group that met me at the Palong village yesterday evening were a good bunch. Felt I clicked well in particular with a guy Jesse from Melbourne, a girl Lucie from the Czech Republic and a guy Mattheus from Germany while chatting around last nights campfire.

The guide for this group was a bit of a loose canon. He was military trained and armed to the teeth with a machete, slingshots and daggers and strangely had a live squirrel tied to his shoulder which seemed to enjoy it's home in the collar of his jumper!? Apparently he saved it as a baby and had trained it to this day to be his little trekking companion.

While eating breakfast he tied it to a wooden post which it scurried up. As he was talking to us about the days agenda I watched a cat eye up his squirrel and slowly creep up the post. When it looked ready to pounce on the little rodent I informed the guide who immediately turned around, slapped the cat off the post. As the scrawny feline ran for safety the mentalist unsheathed a big dagger with lightening speed and flung it towards him, which bounced off a wooden post that the cat had luckily just dived behind in the nick of time. I didn't mess with the guide after that.

So after breakfast we trekked back to the elephant camp as this group had yet to ride the elephants and do the bamboo rafting. As I'd already done this stuff I was told to just sit and wait around for the next few hours. I wasn't up for that so just said I'd join them for a second time. Shared an elephant with Jesse and a cool girl from Copenhagen. The 3 of us ended up hanging around for most of the day.

Next up was a waterfall which was a bit less dramatic than I expected but still completely refreshing to lounge around in for a while in the intense heat.

To finish the day we hit the white-water rafting which provided a few thrills and tense moments trying to survive a succession of rapids that a proper rafter would laugh at, but nearly put an end to us.

Good way to end the 3 day trek. Back now to Chiang Mai to the Winner Inn. Some dinner and back to a normal bed.

Chiang Rai tomorrow to see the famous White Temple and some boating around the Golden triangle where the borders of Thailand, Burma and Laos meet.



Advertisement



5th March 2011

What happened to the girl!!
Hi Andrew, spent the evening catching up with all your blogs and pics since you left us. Looks like your having a grand time, just one question; what happend to Meliessa? Are we going to see her again, when you hack your way out of the jungle? Take care anyway, we all miss and you hope you continue having a great experience. Love from us all in Israel, All the best cousin. Neill

Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0536s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb