lets try again!!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 21st 2011
Published: February 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

back to the 8th feb!! (had a little more sleep!! phew!

ferry ride back to Dar Es Salaam as a foot passenger this time...fun!! try not to get run over!! then a hang about waiting for the ferry to Zanzibar...Hendrick sweet talked them so we got the classy seats..reclining, and actually slept some of the journey (think it took 2 hours ish!!!) off the other end onto a mini bus, bags on another one...in stonetown..they like you to keep your shoulders, cleavage and knees covered out of respect to the arabic community. very chatty local guide and our new guide taking us to nairobi-Joseph..strong accent and quietly spoken..not an easy combination, but always smiling!! wandered about town and found a lovely terrace restaurant for lunch..delicious! the water looks beautiful;, but advised not to swim here as its a sewage outlet! bit of internet time and a wander through the shops...1st attempt at bartering..not the best, but got some nice..decent..dresses! bit cooler than grubby trousers! out for dinner to say goodbye to Hendrick..1st of a few goodbyes over the next few days! and a dance at a local eatery/drinkery/dancery!!

9-2-11

back on to the mini bus..our guide is very jolly...lets us stop for 'kodak moments' and always saying Hakuna Matata...they actually say that here!! (gone from Harry Potter feeling over the delta to Lion King!). stopped at a spice farm..was really good! saw vanilla pods growing, different spices and colourings, fruits... then stopped at got to taste a load of delicios fruits! one of the guys at the farm was weaving frog necklaces all the way round, so the girls got given them, then as we watched a guy climbing, singing and butt wiggling his way up a tree to fetch us a coconut, we then got given crowns, purses etc that they had been making! great fun!! then on to our beach bungalow in north beach, WOW..clear turquoise waters, white sands!! heaven!out for a nice dinner, and hunted out the rarely found dessert somewhere else...BROWNIE!!!

10-2-11

had a chill out day, most went diving, but didnt fancy sitting in full sun all day on a boat or in the water! most prople came back fried! found the new ozzi girls who were planning parasailing so decided to give it a go, found a shop and off we went, climbing on to the back of a dingy which took us to a bigger boat! shelly went 1st..shes scared of heights, so was a little freaked at the thought! then my turn, hooked up and realed out...it felt like you were sat on a swing, just floating! wonderful@ and a fab view on the island! then realed back in, had my legs dunked (dunking was the bit that didnt appeal to me..the thought of water over my face..argh!!! but had seen shelly do it, so was ok!) then back to dingy and back to shore~!! steph took the photos...she shared with us her fear..she doesnt like birds so it was being attacked by birds while up there!! one of the waiters atthe bar decided that i would be his wife..so tryed to avoid him as much as possibl;e!! 8) out for dinner in a resturant outside, where you could wriggle your toes in the sand and watch the moon light up the sea with nothing but candle light!

11-2-11

back to stonetown..went to prison island with a few of the group..had to wade through the water to get to the boat..the lovely looking but aparently sewage filled water..lovely!! jumped off the boat at the other end walked a little way to the turtle sanctuary and found giant turtles (huge!!) from babies up to 100+ years! then a wander round the prison that was never actually used as a prison, turned into a quarintine centre at the worry of the plague spreading into such a major port, then back to the boat where we gained 2 passengers...our drivers brother rang him...said hed fallen asleep and forgotten to come and pick up his clients!! back to find something to eat (air con!!!WOOOHOOOO) then a wander roung the backstreet shops with Sophia..great fun..found the most random shop which grew with every turn (harry potter-esk) filled with old fashiooned padlocks, diving helmets, lanturns filled the ceiling...out for a goodbye indian, a couple of drinks and bed!

12-2-11

dodgey stomach time again..lots of queezy faces about! not looking forwards to the boat ride! survived...but lost joseph at the other side!! found him again, back on the truck! sat in traffic for an age, but got lots of travel advise from charlotte on the way which was fab!! then back to camp for a clean up! new tent mate..mary..from montreal?

13-2-11

Bit of a wander around Arusha today..bit boring as its sunday and all except the supermarket closed!! got some supplies! back to camp..staying at snake park where they have an area to see the snkaes, aligators and some owls..little mice and chicks in cages as food and everything!! military base nearby..could hear african singing, presumed it was the masai who randomly wander the site, but aparently not..how jolly!! went over to the bar after dinner, stopped by brian and christian on the way to see an amazing wild african animal...a hedgehog!! the boys started walking away, only to discover the had pretty much been standing on a poisonous snake...quite small..climbs trees and feeds off bird eggs!! oops!

14-2-11

The BEST way to spend valentines day!!!


Advertisement



21st February 2011

Wowwowwow! Very jealous back here in England! What a lot you have been doing.... and how hard is it to write it up on time! Hope you are keeping track as you go... and how many photos must you have by now?!!!

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.027s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0399s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb