Goodbye Thailand...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 27th 2011
Published: January 27th 2011
Edit Blog Post

After a well deserved day of rest (if I do say so myself) we were off on our cooking trip. Got picked up from our hotel and driven to the local market - picking a few other people up on the way. It was explained to us all the different ingredients we would be using for our cooking which was pretty interesting, although I must have lost concentration after about five minutes! We chose the different types of food we wanted to make and then went off to the cookery school.

We made six different courses and got to eat them ALL! It was really nice, but after the third meal I was feeling pretty stuffed although funnily enough my appetite funnily reappeared when it was dessert time! I chose to make Mango with Sweet Sticky Rice which was lovely although Han made some sort of fried banana with ice cream which I wish I made as it was lovely!

Feeling pretty stuffed with thought we'd go and have a couple of beers with an Irish couple we got speaking to on the course who happened to now live in Oz so we were just chatting about that. We only stayed for about an hour as we had a lot to sort out and needed to see if the travelbutler had got back to us about changing our flights to Australia to the following week (30th Jan). Nothing! Our flight was scheduled for Sunday and it was Friday so we hurried off to find somewhere to make an international phone call. After speaking to the travel agents the next available flight to Australia wasn't until the 6th Feb and we didn't fancy staying another two weeks, besides it would have only given us three weeks in Oz which wasn't enough.

So... back to the original plan of flying out on the Sunday. Luckily we met a really nice girl called Claire in Koh Tao that we also met again in Chiang Mai, who lives in Bangkok and she said it was OK for us to spend the day at hers on Sunday - as our bus arrived in Bangkok from Chiang Mai at about 7 and our flight to Oz wasn't until 9pm that evening.

Saturday we went and sunbathed at a nearby hotels pool all day, the weather was lovely and not a cloud insight. We got picked up from our hotel and taken to the bus station. The night bus was ok, cant say it was the most comfortable nights sleep I've ever had and the coach driver appeared to be driving really fast on very bumpy roads! We arrived in Bangkok at five o'clock in the morning in some place we did not know. Nobody could speak English and it was still dark so not the greatest of situations! We felt really bad but rang Claire and asked if we could get a cab round, thankfully she hadn't long got in so we got the cab over! Fell asleep for a while and woke up about midday. Hannah was feeling really ill so I left her to rest for a while. Claire was concerned that Hannah may have had Dengue Fever as she had all the same symptoms as when she had it and was running a high temperature. We decided to see how she felt after taking some tablets and drinking plenty of water.

An hour passed and still no improvement so we decided to take Han to the hospital, time wasn't on our side as we had to fly at 9pm that night so needed to know now if we would be able to fly (if she did have "the dreaded deng" then she wouldn't have been able to fly and would have had to stay in hospital, so lets just say we were a little worried at this point). The hospital was AMAZING!! It was like a five star hotel - I have never seen anything like it! Got seen to pretty much straight away, Han had a blood test and a test for flu then we were sent away for an hour. Luckily, she only had flu and we were so relieved to know that we would be able to fly that night. Rushed home grabbed our bags and got back in the cab to take us to the airport.

The last couple of days were a bit of a blur so kind of felt we had a bit of an abrupt ending to our time in Thailand, but we were both ready to leave by this point! I think I've had my fair share of Thai curries and noodles to see me through to 2012!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0411s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb