Day 8


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
September 29th 2010
Published: September 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We had an exceptionally early start this morning as Camilla and Elin went in search of anti-malarials, but the language difficulties got the better of us and we returned empty handed with our Changovers to join the rest of our trekking group. The journey to the jungle was a tight squeeze with all ten of us in the back of a truck but we soon arrived after some winding roads and crazy driving to the river for bamboo rafting! Unfortunately Elin was still a little delicate and started to vomit uncontrollably, yet she ventured on and before we knew it we were floating down a river on a rather wobbly bamboo raft! The river was thankfully not too rapid-like but there were a branch collisions on the way down! Safely back on dry land (or so we thought!) we enjoyed a traditionaly Thai lunch before beginning our three hour trek through the jungle. The path was long and dangerous at times and in the first 5 minutes Elin was up to her knees in dirty puddle water and Becky was shortly to follow before Camilla went smack down on the edge of a cliff! Luckily we arrived at the waterfall a little shaken but in one piece and made the most of the amazing scenery and the cool water!

Having temporarily dried off we continued our trek to the mountain village which was located at the top of the Mountain with amazing views across the jungle. The accommodation was 'basic' and Becky had to perfect the art of squatting (having struggled to do so for a whole 5 days!) but we enjoyed another amazing dinner and sat around the campfire with the locals singing a mixture of Thai and English songs before experiencing some local games which Becky wholehartedly embraced (rice whiskey and all!!). The night was long, sleeping on a wooden floor in a wooden hut under a holey mosquito net was rather frightening and uncomfortable and an early morning toilet trip at 4.45am was just a tad scary in the pitch black but the stars and the views were incredible (even whilst squatting on a slope!).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0455s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb