NorthernThailand - Elephant Sanctuary


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
March 1st 2009
Published: April 11th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Elephants in the MistElephants in the MistElephants in the Mist

at the [url=http://www.elephantnaturepark.org/]ElephantNaturePark [/url]

Volunteering at the Elephant Nature Park



What an amazing week, unlike anything I've ever experienced before! Last month I volunteered at the Elephant Nature Park ElephantNaturePark, a sanctuary for Asian elephants in Northern Thailand.

While I was there, over 20 volunteers from all over the world worked together on projects ranging from clearing elephant night shelters to digging elephant mud pits. We also got to hand-feed the elephants, bathe them in the river, and walk with them in the jungle!

This park is unique, because visitors come to observe elephants interacting naturally in their family groups, rather than riding them in trekking camps, where they are overworked and underfed, or watching them "beg" in the city streets, where they get hit by cars. One of the latest crazes is "elephant painting" and tourists pay the owners big money for the paintings. Unfortunately for the baby elephant who is forced to paint, she is taken away from her mother forever. Not only that, the current practice is to beat the baby elephant during initial training, and then she is "prodded" by a sharp nail under her trunk to make it move the paint brush. This is hidden from
Bath timeBath timeBath time

Twice a day we got to bathe the elephants in the river!
the camera and the audience.

All of this is made publicly aware by Lek, the founder of the sanctuary, who has been featured in national and international documentaries. She is setting an example for more of an eco-tourism experience of conservation and education for tourists and local people. This is good for the tourists, the elephant owners and especially good for the elephants themselves.

Now there are over 30 elephants at the sanctuary, including playful babies and grand old ladies who are over 80 years old! Many of these elephants have suffered terrible injuries from accidents and abuse in their working lives. At the park they can leave their traumas in the past and live each day in a peaceful environment with support from the people who love and care for them.

A big thank you to Joyce Major from Seattle, who turned me onto this volunteer project. She was there two years ago, and wrote an excellent, humorous book about traveling around the world as a volunteer SmilingAtTheWorld.





Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Elephant Nature Park founder, LekElephant Nature Park founder, Lek
Elephant Nature Park founder, Lek

Lek grew up in Northern Thailand around elephants. She opened the sanctuary back in 1995 to rescue abused and injured elephants so they can live out the rest of their days with dignity.
Auntie and babyAuntie and baby
Auntie and baby

They are complex social creatures with established families. Everyone looks out for the babies, including their "aunties."
Ele with a sense of humorEle with a sense of humor
Ele with a sense of humor

This 4-year old reached her trunk into a bucket of water and sprayed the nearest unsuspecting person!
Feeding timeFeeding time
Feeding time

We hand-fed them fruit and squash, which they collect with their agile trunks and stick in their mouth.
Room with a viewRoom with a view
Room with a view

My roommate, Nicole (from Singapore), watching the elephants from our window.
Barbara (from England) cutting corn stalks for elephant food Barbara (from England) cutting corn stalks for elephant food
Barbara (from England) cutting corn stalks for elephant food

There were over 20 volunteers during the week I was there. The following week, they were only expecting 10. The funds from the volunteers and visitors are the main source of support for the park.
Billy (from Canada) and Barbara shucking cornBilly (from Canada) and Barbara shucking corn
Billy (from Canada) and Barbara shucking corn

The volunteers come in all ages, from all over the world.
A mahout sharing his bottled water with the babyA mahout sharing his bottled water with the baby
A mahout sharing his bottled water with the baby

The mahouts are trainers that idealy stay with an elephant during their entire lifetime. They keep watch over them all day and rest at night while the elephants stay in their shelters.
Walking with the elephants...Walking with the elephants...
Walking with the elephants...

to "Elephant Haven," a protected jungle area that Lek purchased for the elephants.
Camp at Elephant HavenCamp at Elephant Haven
Camp at Elephant Haven

While the elephants roam and graze in the jungle, the volunteers relax in camp. The mahouts cooked dinner for us and played traditional songs by the campfire. We slept in sleeping bags under mosquito nets on a covered platform.
Back at the park...Back at the park...
Back at the park...

the elephants roam and graze to their heart's content. This girl has a broken back from prior abuse before she was rescued by Lek. Now she can live the rest of her life in a peaceful environment.


12th April 2009

WOW. I love the Thailand and elephant pics and stories
It was so fascinating. I would NOT have been able to bring myself to eat the bugs either!! But I wish I would...just so I could say I did! I can't wait to show my girls the elephant pics especially. What a wonderful way to volunteer. And 6 days without talking to anyone. I'll bet we don't know anyone else who has done that. I camped overnight by myself once, and I couldn't believe how long THAT seemed without talking to anyone! You've sure picked a good time to be gone. The rest of the world seems to be struggling to hold itself together. Keep on posting pictures. I'm living vicariously through you! They're wonderful!
12th April 2009

Beautiful elephants
Hi Laura, How even the nicest of Thai people can exploit these amazing animals is hard to digest. What a fabulous week-long experience! Wallowing with elephants is such a heartwarming experience, isn't it? They're giant beauties :).... Can't wait to see more photos of your trip! Jayne
12th April 2009

It must be experience of a life time
Thats coooool or was it not :) . How did the elephants reacted to new faces. Its one of the daring work to volunteer as well isnt it...!!! Thanks, for the info on this , i have planned to read the book "Smiling at the world" .. Keep your energy going & write lots of blogs over here.
26th October 2009

what you are doing is wonderful
Elephants are wonderful and amazing to me. I have always loved them thank you for taking care of them
24th September 2012

MERCI A VOUS DE DONNER ENFIN DU BONHEUR 0 CES ANIMAUX SI BEAUX...MERCI POUR CES PHOTOS.... <3<3
27th September 2012

What a beautiful work!
Thank you so much for these WONDERFUL pictures, and for your LOVE to my friends the elephants...
1st October 2012

Ils sont magnifiques longue vie à nos pachidermes à l'abri d'etres malveillants.
10th October 2012

C 'est super ce que vous faîtes pour ces éléphants qui sont si beaux et si gentils ! merci pour eux !
23rd October 2012

my dream...............
i´d dream of this......being there for the elephants......it touched me deep inside....i wish i could be there one day..............indeed..........is that possible????is it expensive????if possible....i´d wait for an answer..............God blesses everyone for this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
11th November 2012

Elephant Nature Park
If all the Elephants of the world should be so well!
6th January 2013

très jolie photo

Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0638s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb