Learning Thai in Chiang Mai and surviving white water rafting


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 22nd 2009
Published: March 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Show at the market 5 secs
After a 6-7 hour winding journey through 1,864 curves (yes they count them, you can even get a certificate for passing the experience) from Mae Hong Son I eventually arrived in Chiang Mai. While the scenery is spectacular, the drive is definitely not for those who suffer from motion sickness. I spent 10 days in Chiang Mai learning Thai language and was joined by Jac, my previous housemate in Mae Sot.

Chiang Mai, 700 km from Bangkok is the largest and most culturally significant city in northern Thailand. The city is situated on the Ping River and serves as a major centre for handcrafted goods, umbrellas, jewellery and woodcarving for tourists. Often referred to as Thailand’s “Rose of the North,” Thais speak of their northern capital as a quaint, moated and walled city surrounded by splendid mountains. Anyone who has visited Chiang Mai will agree that it is hard not to fall in love with this town especially with its laid back atmosphere.

Besides learning Thai for 6 days, 3 hours each session Jac and I visited the Sunday walking street market and Night Bazaar. On our last weekend we were joined by my housemates to celebrate Louise’s 30th birthday. We went white water rafting for 10 km down the Mae Tan River and while it was the first time our instructor had ever had a raft capsize in the rapids during dry season, we all survived. I had a few battle wounds on my arms from being dragged through the rocks by the strong current but nothing I couldn’t laugh about later. That evening we went to a bar in the back streets of Muang where Chai, a local Thai, played live music at his bar Chai Blues House.

This was the last of my long journeys away from home and I was looking forward to returning to MHS where my newly bought motorbike “Exciting Factor” and parasite free Mum and pup (now only one) were awaiting me!



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0722s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb