A Relaxing Day in Chiang Mai...but excitement to come!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 17th 2006
Published: January 18th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

To our Trek

From Chaing Mai (green) to Chiang Dong National Park (Red) for a 4 days, 3 night trek in the hills.

We really love it here in Chaing Mai, we feel like we could stay for months. It is a charming and relaxed city with great food and lots of friendly travellers to socialize with. It is also quite a bit cheaper and cooler (in temperature) than Bangkok. It is a moated and walled city on the inside where most of the activity takes place.

After recovering from our train ride we set out to explore. We stumbled upon a very small local-looking celebration just inside one of the main gates. It consisted of mostly women dancing in thai dress, although there were a few men. The music was provided by a live band. Some of the women were clearly indulging in some sort of substance, perhaps beer or alcohol, but more likely the source of the intoxicated mood was due to long thick cigar-shaped pipe. The smell was unfamiliar but we speculate it was opium which is a large industry here (although in the decline because of government interventions). A sight to see and many Thai families also gathered to watch.

We also discovered to our delight that the Sunday market was in full swing. Apparently we had arrived on one of the best days of the week for this city. The 2 main roads were closed off inside the wall and food vendors, craft and clothing vendors lined the streets. The crowd shuffled along at a leisurely pace one each side of centre where artisits drew portraits of patient subjects. One thing about Thailand is traffic drives on the left, and so that is how the pedestrian traffic also moved in the crowds filled with 60% thai and 40% foreigner. Along the way we perused, ate, and observed a few groups of children performing dances and songs with drums and tambourines. We shuffled along slowly and patiently taking it all in and feeling relieved that the evening would be a cool one.

The following day (monday) we set out to really explore. We were extra proud of ourselves since we didn't get lost and visited more sites than we originally intended. We visited 3 or 4 wats, all unique. We especially enjoyed Wat Chedi Luang and City Pillar. It is made of stone and bricks and is about 600 years old. The top is actually toppled over a bit because of an earlier earthquake. Around the Chedi there are 2 pagodas with meditating monks. They are the oldest and wisest monks and are sitting perfectly still except for glittering eyes.

We switched hostels later that afternoon as our first one was quite further away that we expected. Afte a nap, we headed out to the night market. We wondered around there for a while and on our way back stopped at a row of bars. To our surprise we we also the lucky spectators of a Lady Man Cabaret show. Oh yes, you read right. Lady. Man. A man who is now a lady. Post Op. And Gorgeous! ahahaha. They put on a fabulous show!

We called it a night pretty late last night but we were up early this morning for a delicious breakfast of fresh fruit (the best mango ever) and banana pancakes. oh yum, absolutely heavenly! Today we really did take 'er easy. Wondered around, did computer and picture stuff and one really exciting thing: we booked a trek!! Earlier in the day we met a canadian lady and her husband who are living here and they had amazing things to say about this certain trekking company and gave us the name of the guide who has his highest level certification. They had nothing but good to say about the trek and some amazing storied about their 2 and 4 year old kids mixing with the hill-tribe children. With such a fantastic recommendation we couldn't refuse to at least check it out. The end result was a 4 day trek into the hills starting tomorrow! we return saturday around 4pm and i'm sure i'll have some great stories. I know for sure that i will be riding an elephant, taking a river raft, swimming in a waterfall, visiting different hill tribes (some who havn't seen westerners or other people for that matter) in months, camping in a tribe, and treking-alot! Our guide is a member of one of the tribes himself and also a former monk. We are so excited for this. There will be 4 of us going plus our guide: myself, brookes, erin, and evelyn! how exciting!

It's to bed early for us after we pack and shower (possibly for the last time til be get back to Chiang Mai!) Oooh I love the backpacker life!

-Gone Trekkin'

Advertisement



18th January 2006

getting'er done!
becks.. and erin.. and ev.. and brook (who i don't know as much) - you're gonna dig the trek soooooo much! I did it my first week also, and was probably among the top memories of the entire trip. You may not be used to the altitude, or the slope, or the sheer length of the climb.. but bring some water.. pack lightly, and support each other - the summit will be remarkably worth it - a guarantee if you will!! have fun ya'll! (minor suggestion.. rent bicycles where appropriate.. so fun, and you'll cover more ground too - a thought?!) love ya'll.. dre

Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0532s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb