Dazed & Confused


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
August 7th 2008
Published: August 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

So, i believe we left you just prior to us getting on the train to Bangkok. Although i've never been on a 'sleeper' train before (it took 23 hours or so) apparently for Alice it brought back memories of a European holidays. There's not a great deal to report from it other than we ended up chatting to an American guy called Zack who was sat opposite to us. He was a real nice guy and when we pulled into Bangkok feeling very much over-whelmed he sorted out a tuk-tuk (a nippy 3 wheeled taxi) and took us to a cheap hostel.

Bangkok is an incredible city, like some kind of crazy ant-hill, it's hot and crazy and you can buy anything you can conceive of at a tiny price. We spent several days staying near the Koh sahn road (the backpacker's mecca), we spent a couple nights trying to drink Bangkok dry and failed miserably; ate too much food from Hawker's stalls, but it was all so good; went to a 16'000 stall market and i bought a trumpet for 89 pounds which i am currently struggling to find a place to practice. I don't know, its so hard to describe it; like 19th century london asian style is the best i can think of off the top of my head. We walked too far, drank and ate too much, didn't sleep enough and shouted too much. It was fantastic.

Yesterday we got an overnight bus to a town in the very north of Thailand called Chang Mai, it's a lot more chilled, and although the long arm of the backpacker trade has well and truely made it here it's nice to be out of a major city at least. This afternoon we both had an hours thai massage for 2.50 each. Fantastic.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb