Advice for visitors to Chiangmai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
January 11th 2005
Published: January 11th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Chiang Mai's city wall and moat Chiang Mai's city wall and moat Chiang Mai's city wall and moat

The wall and moat that surrounds the old city was built more than 700 years ago.
Many guide books on Thailand only partially cover the subject of health and well-being while traveling in the country, so I would like to give you some advice about protocol, health, and the law. Hopefully it will help you to enjoy your travels in Northern Thailand.


When you arrive in Chiangmai, it helps to know a bit about transportation within the city. At the airport, train station, or bus station, you will probably be met by the representatives of various guesthouses and hotels and tour operators. If you have a specific place in mind and you don't see the specific signboard, you can always call the place to have someone pick you up from the train station, airport, or bus arcade depot. Taxis are available at the airport, with a price of 150 baht to most destinations.


The common vehicles of public transportation are more varied than public buses. The terms 'dtoog dtoog' and 'sarmlor' are open-air, three-wheel vehicles, and 'zeelor' and 'songthaew' describe vehicles with four wheels. Whenever you get in a 'dtoog dtoog', 'zeelor', or 'samlor', you should make sure that they take you where you want to go. Often the drivers work on commission and may

Chiang Mai, Thailand - Buddhist Temple Chiang Mai, Thailand - Buddhist Temple Chiang Mai, Thailand - Buddhist Temple

There are more than 70 temples in the 1 square mile old city of Chiang Mai
tell you that the place you want to go is dirty, closed, or full if they don't have a previous agreement with the place you have in mind. Always negotiate the price before you get in a dtoog dtoog or samlor. A zeelor ride should cost 15 Baht on a regular route, more if you hire it out to go somewhere out of the way.


Meeting and making friends with different people is an exciting part of travel anywhere. In Northern Thailand, it helps to know a bit of the language and something about the protocol. To say "hello", say "Sawasdee Krup" for men and "Sawasdee Kha" for women. To learn more Thai before you come, an excellent free teaching website can be found at http://www.learningthai.com/. You will gain loads of respect from the Thai people if you learn just the basics.


The Thais put a lot of emphasis on manners, so it's a good idea to learn to say "Thank you". In Thai, it's "Kob Khun", followed by "Krup" or "Kha" for women. The "wai" made by placing your palms together in front of the upper chest is the traditional Thai gesture of greeting or respect, and

Chiang Mai, Thailand - The Thai "Wai" Chiang Mai, Thailand - The Thai "Wai" Chiang Mai, Thailand - The Thai "Wai"

This is the proper way to greet someone in Thailand with the traditional "Wai."
the gesture is always appreciated. The custom is that younger people "wai" elders first, so let the children and persons you think are younger than you "wai" before you "wai" them.


The Thai people have several customs that are important to remember to avoid causing offense. Never touch the head, because it is the most sacred part of the body. The feet are the lowliest part, so don't point them at others or rest them above ground level. Never stop a rolling Thai Baht coin or any type of Thai currency with your foot, as the money here has a picture of the king on it.


Respect for the king and religious customs is another important part of Thai protocol. They have great respect for the royal family, the flag, and anything with an image of the king, including the money. When you visit a Buddhist temple, you should always remove your shoes before entering any buildings. Men should wear long pants, and women should wear knee-length or longer skirts. Women are not allowed to touch monks or make prolonged eye contact with them. Do not sit on the walls surrounding the jedee, which contains the temple's sacred

A "Songthaew" in Chiang Mai, Thailand A "Songthaew" in Chiang Mai, Thailand A "Songthaew" in Chiang Mai, Thailand

These 2 bench pick-up trucks are the main source of transportation in the city of Chiang Mai.
relics of the Buddha.


Whatever happens, though, don't display your anger, because the Thais will think you uncultured, and ranting will get you nowhere. Smile and think "no problem". Thais do not like confrontation, so getting angry will get you nowhere in Thailand. Here is an example:


Let’s say you arrive at your hotel and want a nice, hot shower or bath. You turn on the tap and find the hot water is not working. What most people would do is call the front desk and complain, and if you are tired, you might raise your voice a little, saying, “The hot water doesn’t work—what’s the problem?” It might take a long time before someone comes to check it out, if at all. What you should do is say, “I don’t know how to get the hot water turned on in my room; would you please have someone show me?” Someone will come to your room within a minute or two to check it out.


Thailand is a country of gourmands. Eating out is one the nation's favorite activities, and knowing a bit of table manners will help you appear more civilized. Waiters and waitresses in Thailand

Chiang Mai, Thailand - The "Songthaew" Chiang Mai, Thailand - The "Songthaew" Chiang Mai, Thailand - The "Songthaew"

"Songthaews" are everywhere in Chiang Mai so if one is not going in your direction just wait a few seconds for the next one.
are trained to take your entire order. When they take the order, they will often ask "one", which is their way of asking whether they got it correctly or not. The entire meal is customarily served at the same time, but the empty dishes are removed one by one. Some street-side restaurants will not remove any dishes or bottles until you finish your meal. This is because they do not write down your order. They shout your order to the cook, and after the meal, they will count the plates and bottles and figure out the bill then.


Chiangmai and the north have plenty of night entertainment available. It runs the gamut from restaurants to nightclubs, discos, or video bars. Thai people are often as interested in meeting you as you might be in meeting them, but one should exercise discretion and sometimes a bit of caution, especially in matters of the heart. In romantic situations, Westerners and Thais both occasionally get hurt. The best advice is to think with your head AND your heart. Enjoy yourself, but be very adult about any given situation.


Many visitors to Chiangmai enjoy taking trips outside the city. We recommend these

Chiang Mai, Thailand - Fruit Market Chiang Mai, Thailand - Fruit Market Chiang Mai, Thailand - Fruit Market

This is some of the delecious fruits in Chiang Mai
trips highly, but don't forget to bring a few extras in case of emergency. Flashlights and extra batteries, as well as film and camera batteries, are recommended, as are matches or a lighter. Jackets may be needed for the cold evenings, and don't forget a first-aid kit and the ever-important toilet paper for emergencies. Ear plugs are a good idea if staying overnight in a hill tribe village, as the roosters can be very loud at 3am.


Keeping healthy on holiday is essential. If you feel ill, it's probably a good idea to see a doctor in one of Chiangmai's clinics or hospitals. If you are worried that you may have come down with malaria, Chiangmai has an excellent malaria clinic. There you can get a 30-minute test. For more information, call the Regional Center at 222275. Whatever you do, don't take chances with your health while traveling away from home.


While Chiangmai is a great place to visit, just like any other city, crime is never on holiday when you are. Theft seems to be the most common tourist-targeted crime, and this includes credit cards and passports. How about carrying half your cash in a body money

Chiang Mai, Thailand - Doi Suthep Chiang Mai, Thailand - Doi Suthep Chiang Mai, Thailand - Doi Suthep

You can take a "songthaew" which is parked in front of Chiang Mai University to Doi Suthep temple
belt? If you must leave your passport or credit cards anywhere for safekeeping, we recommend using a safety deposit box in one of the local banks or your hotel. Do not give anyone valuables to put in a safe. Make sure you both have a key to the safety box and a list of items that you put in. When you go trekking, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) suggests that a photocopy of your passport is acceptable identification to carry on the trek.


Every visitor should be well-informed about Thailand's laws on illegal drugs. Drugs that are illegal in your home country are just as illegal in Thailand. There are no "recreational" drugs in Thailand. The list of banned substances includes marijuana and hashish, as well as opium, heroine, and cocaine. Unfortunately, some people come to Northern Thailand with the impression that the use of some drugs is okay. This is a misguided and very wrong impression. There are now undercover police in hill tribe villages, and you will get caught. Naiveté is not an excuse in court. There is extreme danger in buying or using drugs in Northern Thailand, and we hope all visitors will keep this

Chiang Mai, Thailand - The Chedi at Doi Suthep Chiang Mai, Thailand - The Chedi at Doi Suthep Chiang Mai, Thailand - The Chedi at Doi Suthep

This chedi can be seen on top of the mountain overlooking the city of Chiang Mai.
in mind. The laws are very strict, and the punishment is not pleasant.


The advice given on this page is by no means comprehensive, but it presents many of the fundamental cautions that will help you get the most out of your trip to this beautiful country. If you would like more detailed medical or health information, please speak with a doctor or other trained professional. For legal or travel safety information, contact the Chiangmai Tourist Police.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0358s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb