Day Twelve: Chiang Mai/Doi Sothep


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 22nd 2005
Published: December 4th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Steps to Doi SothepSteps to Doi SothepSteps to Doi Sothep

This doesn't look so bad...
We awoke early this morning to participate in the ritual of giving alms to the monks. I forgot my camera, unfortunately. Every morning, all over Thailand, people bring complete meals for the monks, with rice in baggies, fully cooked meats, vegetables and fruits - even bottled water. As the monks go by, you invite them to accept your offering. Most monks carry covered bowls. When they come over, you gently drop your food items into the bowl, then kneel down to accept the monk's chanted blessing. It is a very pleasant ritual and one that keeps not only the monks fed, but others who are in need of food. Ole said that poor people will come to the temples mid-morning for left overs.

After our own breakfast, we headed up the mountain to visit Wat Phrathat Doi Sothep. This was one of my most anticipated sites. It is an awesome temple, which is reached by climbing 300 some serpent-lined steps. The temple courtyard itself is amazing, with beautiful statuary, big bells, and lush flowers and plants. The actual temple is made of gleaming gold. The postcards just can't convey the magesty of this gleaming temple.

Even though we arrived
Snake headSnake headSnake head

Guarding the pathway to Doi Sothep
early, it didn't take long for the temple grounds to fill up with tourists. I enjoyed the few minutes of peace I had and was ready to move on.

We walked about a half block down the hill from the temple and visited a jade jewelry shop. It was interesting to learn about jade, but was yet another one of those tourist black holes. The lavendar jade was particularly pretty. Kathy Jo bought a nice earring and pendant set.

We continued our monk theme of the day by having "monk chat" at Mahamakut Buddhist University. Describing Thai Buddhism in an hour lecture is a bit like pouring Lake Michigan into a martini glass. The head monk was charming and seemed to enjoy visiting with us as much as we did him.

A few of us joined Ole for lunch at a little Muslim cafe. He ordered curry noodles for everyone, but I had chicken and rice. I just don't care for the curry-pasta combination. Especially when the Thai jasmine rice is so fantastic. It was nice to eat somewhere without a buffet.

I spent the afternoon doing a little more market shopping with Don and Nancy.
The Stairway The Stairway The Stairway

One past those first few steps, the rest of the way is all up, up, up...
I couldn't return home without a few Thai t-shirts and purses.

In the evening we enjoyed a lovely home-hosted dinner. Our hostess, Toi, whipped up a delicious meal that was different than much of what we'd had. I especially enjoyed the pork soup. Toi's mother, sisters, nephew and nieces joined us, as well. I really liked having the opportunity to visit with them. It reminded me of my family stays in India, which are really the best way to get to know another culture.

After dinner, we were treated to a couple of fire lantern launchings. We enjoyed many fine blessings today!




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Little Hill Tribe GirlLittle Hill Tribe Girl
Little Hill Tribe Girl

Cute little girl in native attire.
MomMom
Mom

That's the name of this thing. I thought Audrey would get a kick out of it.
Doi Sothep TempleDoi Sothep Temple
Doi Sothep Temple

This is the golden temple of Doi Sothep. It is immense, gleaming and spectacular.
ToiToi
Toi

Our hostess for the home-hosted dinner.
DinnerDinner
Dinner

A Roi :)


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0637s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb