temples temples temples


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
May 13th 2008
Published: May 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hill-tribeHill-tribeHill-tribe

and how they do their fantastic textiles
We are now 12 of us still travelling together from the wedding!!! I made so many new friends from Brisbane that I am already thinking of changing my plans for Australia and have a week stop there to visit them.

I woke up around 8.30am on the train to a fantastic view of green and more green forest, mostly untouched and wild, except for a couple of little towns we passed along the way. We had some breakfast from the vendors coming up to the train in some of the stations, which was quite nice I have to say. We arrived at Chiang Mai with some delay and head straight to our guesthouse in the old town, shower and straight for lunch to a little bakery Kelly and Rhys had recommended us. Another excellent meal!! I still have not tried anything that I don’t like. Whilst the others rested, Greg (Kelly’s brother) and I decided to go for a walk and explore a little bit of the old town and see one of the more than 300 temples in Chiang Mai (almost as many as Bangkok, which is a far larger city). We made it to Wat Chiang Man, which is the oldest wat within the city walls and was erected by King Mengrai, Chiang Mai’s founder, in 1296. The Crystal Buddha held here is believed to have the power to bring seasonal rains.
That night we went to the Night Bazaar, and I was on a mission to find me the silk sleeping sheet I’ve been looking for. The Night Bazaar is the leading tourist attraction of this city, and is in fact the legacy of the original Yunnanese trading caravans that stopped here along the ancient trade route between Simao (in China) and Mawlamyine (on Myanmar’s Indian Ocean Coast). Made up of several different covered areas, they offered a huge variety of Thai and Northern Thai goods (like silk). I failed in my mission as didn’t see all of it, but will try again.
On the 14th of May we had booked a tour for all, however 3 on the group were not feeling very well so they decided to stay in. First stop a hill-tribe visit. It is amazing to see how this people survive just by selling the wonderful textiles that made by hand with the products they can get naturally. I finally gave in and bought a beautiful bead spread (to send home) for only 800 bath that takes them around 8 months to do. I felt bad just paying that price for something so amazing. I bought a couple more things so I think soon it will be time to send a little package home.
Next stop was an elephant ride through the jungle and then bamboo rafting. It was so nice giving this big animals some food whilst we were crossing some very muddy places (and they didn’t slip at all, amazing). On the bamboo raft I end up at the end of it, helping our guide with the steering. I have to say it was more difficult than it seem and I end up falling into the river a couple of times, and jumping back in immediately so the guys wouldn’t notice. The next stop was a silk fabric were we saw how they do the silk to make such amazing textiles and then a silver factory. That night I went again to the Night Bazaar with Dani and Renea and I accomplished my mission, I finally had bought the silk sleeping sheet I’ve been searching for.
The following day Colleen (Kelly’s mum) and I had our Thai cooking course. The morning started with a trip to the local market to see the different ingredients used in Thai cooking and to know how to identify them. We bought some ingredients and then to the school to start cooking our 7 dishes each! We also eat our dishes so by the end of it I was pretty full I have to say, but it was worth it. So when I get back to …somewhere, I will be cooking some really good thai food (they gave us a book with all the recipes)! My favourites were the chicken soup in coconut milk, pad thai and of course the dessert, sticky rice with mango, yummy!!
In the 16th we had booked a taxi to get us up to the mountain to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep first, which is one of the north’s most sacred temples. The site was chosen by an honoured Buddha relic mounted on the back of a white elephant; the animal wandered until it stopped (and died) on Doi Suthep, making this the relic’s new home. A sneaking road ascends the hill to a long flight of steps (or you can take the funicular, like we did), that leads up to the temple and the expansive views of the valley below. He then took took us to the Bhubing Palace (Phra Tamnak Phu), which is the winter residence for the royal family. We then went to Wat U Mong, which is a forest temple dating from Mengrai’s rule and has a fine image of the fasting Buddha. Brick-lined tunnels in an unusual-looking large, flat-topped hill were supposedly fashioned around 1380 for a clairvoyant monk; and we could see some of them.
At night after saying bye bye to 2 more people that were heading back home, I convinced Dani (who doesn’t need much conviction) to explore the town and some of the bars around. We found a place full of open terrace bars and most of them had a band (reggae mainly) playing.
The following day we relaxed a little bit in the morning and in the afternoon we went to the weekend markets. So again everything you can imagine you can find here and all very very c heap. Whilst we were there at 6pm everybody stopped talking and walking for about 3 min whilst the national anthem was played on the speakers throughout the market. This happens every day around Thailand in stations, markets, shopping malls, etc. Thai people have so much respect for their royal family with images of them around all the cities, their houses, etc.
Ahora ya solo quedamos 12 viajando juntos desde la boda. He conocido a tanta gente nueva de Brisbane que ya estoy pensando en cambiar mis planes y pasarme poir alli una semanita o asi para poder visitarlos.
Me desperate hacia las 8.30 en el tren con una vista fantastica del bosque verde, la mayoria salvaje y sin tocar, except por un par de pequenos pueblecitos que pasamos en el camino. El desayuno fue gracias a los vendedores locales que se subian al tren cuando parabamos en algunas estacions, y la verdad estaba todo muy bueno.
Llegamos a Chiang Mai con un poco de retraso y nos fuimos directos a nuestra guesthouse en la parte vieja de la ciudad. Kelly y Rhys nos llevaron a una pequena panaderia a comer, donde hacian de todo, comida india, tailandesa, vegetariana, y todo estaba buenisimo . Todavia no he probado nada aqui que no me haya gustado. Mientras los demas descansaron, Greg (el hermano de Kelly ) y yo decidimos darnos un paseo y explorer un poco de la parte vieja y ver alguno de los mas de 300 templos aqui (casi tantos como Bangkok, que es una ciudad muchisimo mas grande). Llegamos hasta Wat Chiang Man, que es el templo mas Viejo dentro de los muros de la ciudad, que fue construido por el Rey Mengrai, el fundador de Chiang Mai, en 1296. Se cree que el Buddha de Crystal que hay en este templo tiene poderes de traer las lluvias de temporada.
Por la noche fuimos al Night Bazaar (Mercado nocturno), y yo tenia una mission: encontrar la funda de seda para dormir que llevo buscando hace tiempo. Este Mercado es la atraccion turistica mas importante de esta ciudad, y es de echo el legado de las caravanas Yunnanesas (no se si lo he traducido correctamente) que paraban aqui de camino hacia la Antigua ruta de comercio entre Simao (en China y Mawlamyine ( en la costa del oceano indico de burma). El Mercado esta compuesto por centenares de puestos en la calle y tambien puestos en areas cubiertas, ofreciendo una gran variedad de productos tailandeses y del norte de tailandia (como la seda). Falle en mi mission ya que no consegui ver todo el Mercado, pero lo volvere a intentar.
El 14 de Mayo teniamos un tour para todos, donde la primera visita fue una tribu del norte de tailandia. Es incredible ver como esta gente sobrevive solo vendiendo las maravillosas cosas que hacen a mano con lo que pueden conseguir de la naturaleza. Finalmente sucumbi y me compre una colcha para la cama, bordada a mano con elefantes por solo 800 BH (16 eur mas o menos), que les lleva 8 meses en hacer. La verdad me senti mal por pagar tan poco por algo tan bonito, asi que les compre un par de cositas mas, que enviare a casa pronto. La siguiente parada fue para montar a elefante por la jungle mientras les dabamos de comer unas cuantas bananas. Despues fue rafting en una balsa echa de canas de bamboo. Me toco estar al final y ayudar al guia a guirar la balsa (por llamarla de alguna manera). He de decir que fue mas dificil de lo que parecia, asi que acabe cayendome al agua un par de veces, y saltando de nuevo a ella antes de que los chicos (que iban en la otra) lo vieran. Despues tambien nos llevaron a una fabrica de seda donde vimos el proceso de extraer la seda de los capullos y como lo convierten en fantasticos tejidos. Y por ultimo a una fabrica de plata. Esa noche fui de nuevo al Bazaar Nocturno con Dani y Renea y finalmente encontre lo que estaba buscando, asi que mission cumplida!
Al dia siguiente teniamos el curso de cocina Colleen (la madre de Kelly) y yo. La manana empezo con un paseo por el Mercado local para ver los diferentes ingredientes que se usan en la comida tailandesa y como identificarlos. Despues de comprar algunos de los ingredientes volvimos a la escuela para empezar a cocinar 7 platos cada una! Al final nos los comimos todos asi que acabe un poco empachada, pero merecio la pena. Asi que cuando vuelva a…algun sitio (todavia no se donde), cocinare algunos fantasticos tipicos platos tailandeses (gracias a la ayuda del curso y del libro que nos dieron con las recetas). Mis favoritos fueron la sopa de pollo en leche de coco, pad thai y por supuesto el postre, arroz con mango, delicioso!!!
El dia 16 alquilamos un taxi para
Doi SuthepDoi SuthepDoi Suthep

And the white elephant
todo el dia para que nos llevara a sitios mas apartados de Chiang Mai. La primera parade fue el templo de Wat Phra Doi Suthep, que es uno de los mas sagrados templos del norte. Este sitio fue escojido por el honorable Buddha montado a lomas de un elefante blanco. El animal camino hasta que se paro y murio en Doi Suthep, hacienda de este lugar el nuevo hogar del Buddha. Una carretera con muchas curvas asciende hasta la montana donde unas cuantas escaleras (o se puede tomar el funicular, como nosotros hicimos) te lleva hasta el templo donde las vistas del valle son maravillosas. Tambien fuimos al Palacio de Bhubing (Phra Tamnak Phu), que es la residencia de invierno de la familia real. Los jardines de alrededor son espectaculares. La ultima parade fue el templo de Wat U Mong, que es un templo en el bosque de la epoca del reinado del Rey Mengrai.
Por la noche despues de decir adios a 2 personas mas que se volvian a casa, convenci a Dani (que no necesita demasiada conviccion) para explorar los alrededores de nuestra guesthouse, y los bares. Encontraos una zona llena de bares con terrazas, donde casi todos tenian a bandas de reggae tocando.

El dia siguiente por la manana fue de relajacion y por la tarde fuimos al Mercado del fin de semana, donde venden de todo y muy muy barato. Mientras estabamos alli, a las 6 en punto todo el mundo (incluido los pocos turistas que alli estabamos) se paro durante 3 min mientras sonaba el himno nacional por los microfonos que habia en el Mercado. Esto sucede todos los dias a la misma hora en estaciones, mercados, centros comerciales, etc. Aqui le tienen mucho respeto a la familia real, con imagines por todos los sitios, las calles, las casas, etc.



Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 29


Advertisement



Tot: 0.155s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 10; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1094s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb