Contemplation at the temples...


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
October 26th 2007
Published: October 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After leaving bangkok, we headed up to Sukhothai which is not only a great restaurant in Leeds but a wonderful Ancient town in the northern part of Thailand!
Unfortunately, i can't download photos here but as you will see when i do the temples are in the most part ruins with restored areas revealing how they would have looked. Surrounded by grasslands and lotus filled pools they are a great place to relax and think.
We hired bikes to explore quicker - they were straight off 'Little Britain', it was like Florence and her side kick were riding around - all we needed were the brollies!
I tried some more water-colours but needless to say I won't be quitting the day-job just yet!

We also went to another ancient city in the Sukhothai area who's name escapes me at the minute......!They were much quiter and they were more resident thai families in the vacinity. The lady we rented our bikes from here was a real gem. She must have been 80, 4 foot if not shorter, spoke no english but insisted on talking and laughing with us, hugging us and giving out free bananas and sticky rice when you brought the bikes back - she even carried out chairs for us whilst we waited for the bus!

Sukhothai itself was resonably quiet although there was a public holiday commenrating the death of a previous king, on our secong night. The streets became more like a funfair with various games to win ungodly sized one eyed winnie the poohs! There was even a stall with revolving buddhas, against which stood little pots. You placed your donation in the pot beside the buddha you preferred and the respective monk took it back to his monestry!!

We also met a couple of girls from Germany and Swizerland and after a really nice meal decided to try the local delicacy of some black beetles!! they were surprisingly quite tasty! - photos to follow!

We are now in Chiang Mai, further in the north. It's a nice city with an old section still contained within a large moot. We have found a great restaurant (no beetles!) although there is not much else to hold us here too long. there are various trips into the hill areas to meet 'authentic tribes'. I find these advertised and staged events uneasy - often they are
Local bus to PaiLocal bus to PaiLocal bus to Pai

Have you nothing more executive?
really staged and about making money. If they are real 'hidden tribes' why disturb them and open them to new diseases and temptations? - I shall be staying away. The other highlight is performing elephants - painting, playing basketball - you know the kind of things they do to kick back when they're feeling chilled in the asian forests and African plains...........

My next destination is Pai - further north again. There is the possibility of nature treks and white water rafting but i'll see what it delivers. Most likely departing tomorrow.

Hope everyone is well and not bored of these updates falling in you in-box yet!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Sukhothai bike rentalSukhothai bike rental
Sukhothai bike rental

Our new adopted grandma!


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0643s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb