from the village


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 9th 2004
Published: November 9th 2004
Edit Blog Post

The villageThe villageThe village

This is a view of the actual village, i think there are maybe 300 hundred people there; but i forget.
i just got back from an Akha village in Chiang Rai and here are some pictures. Maybe i should fill in some details a bit.
Similar to the situation in Canada , hill tribe people have somewhat of a minority standing here in Canada for several reasons. Most are not traditionally from Thailand and immigrated here as early as 30 years ago, due to such things are world war 2 , the vietnam war etc. They came from Burma, Laos, China and Vietnam. And as many came so recently to Thailand they do not have thai citizenship which makes them illegal squatters on land and affords them no rights when the government does such things as making a national park out of their village.
So some common misconceptions of these people are that they are opium growers, a threat to national security and destroyers of the forest. This isn't entirely false as hilltribe people in the past have grown large amounts of opium due to the force of outside pressures to grow it, some have practiced and formed communist parties and sometimes they're slash and burn methods of cultivating the fields gets a little out of hand.
To combat the growth
Akha babyAkha babyAkha baby

This baby and others were around all the time, another baby was carried around and looked after all day by an probably 10 year old. Some children usually come to the fields with their parents as this picture was taken on a pretty steep hill in the fields. The baby is also wearing a typical Akha hat.
of opium, the thai government implemented the Royal Projects where hilltribe people are given substitute crops to grow as opposed to opium. Such as cabbage, coffee etc. This had worked to some extent as the opium production in thailand has decreased rom 150 tons a year to about 30 and it has been taken off of the US list of countries who are major opium growers; the first and only country who has been able to accomplish this. Burma however, neighbouring thailand is still a huge grower of opium and drugs are still trafficked through the north of thailand.
One of the problems with the Royal Projects is that they force the villages to intensively use their field and they encourage mono cropping; which will in time lower the richness of the soil and thus the crops.
Due to the three stereotypes above of hill tribe people, (drugs, forest destroyers, threat to security) government policy is formed with these ideas in mind. The result is often ineffective legislature and is often contradictory. For example, hilltribe people are told to integrate into the state, and then a few years later they are told to stay where they are and are not
The SwingThe SwingThe Swing

This is the Akha swing typical of all the Akha villages. It is used mostly in ceremony by girls and in September to mark the beginning or ending of the harvest season.
allowed to leave. They are told they will destroy the forest, and in order to protect the forest humans should not live in it. This is opposite of what these people actually believe themselves.
Anyways i could go on about this for awhile because it is mostly what i am learning about in school, but i'll spare the details. Point is relations are tight, just as they are in Canada. The weekend was a great time, the people were extraordinarily nice and liked to have tons of fun, i learned a lot and it was a good weekend all around! and i didn't get left behind this time so that was an added bonus! hope you enjoy the pictures!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

LunchLunch
Lunch

This was our lunch eaten in the field. Almost every plant can be eaten and usually the kids who come with us just chomp on everything.
RiceRice
Rice

This is a woman hacking the rice seeds off of the crop, it probably took her a few hours to get it all off
Afterwards. . .Afterwards. . .
Afterwards. . .

This is what the rice looks like after it is fanned out. I tried to fan the rice but i wasn't really too successfuly at it!
kids and the song taaewkids and the song taaew
kids and the song taaew

Everytime we came back from anywhere there were always about 10 kids playing in or around our song thaaew. We went left the actually ran after us down the road hoped on and rode with us for awhile. so cute!


This is some kids and one of the Akha elders in front of the swing.
Our dinnerOur dinner
Our dinner

This is our dinner at night after we watched the pig sacrifice. The pig was sacrificed because a man was returning to the village and was ill. We all wrapped strings around his wrist to wish him better health. Anyways this dinner consisted entirely of the pig, some of it raw. But either way it was delicious and I could have ate all night.
LahuLahu
Lahu

This is some young girls at the Lahu village we visited for a short time on Sunday. This village was Christian, they sold tea and made good money although the head man's house had TV, VSD's DVD etc but everyone else lived in huts! Figure that one out!
Our dinnerOur dinner
Our dinner

This is a sunburnt me, drinking a shot of pretty strong whiskey. They gave us cookies,tea, cigarettes and their own cigars after dinner.There were quite a few people at this dinner and i think a few people got pretty drunk. Akha and farang alike. Afterwards a small group of us sang songs around the fire, some people got a little rowdy but they enjoyed our version of "we will rock you" and some joined in. It was kind of a sing off as they would sing one song and then we would sing one song.
Finally . . .Finally . . .
Finally . . .

Finally these are my bug bitten legs at home. I didn't actually feel any bugs biting me but now i'm covered and they are crazy itchy!


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb