another journey


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
August 5th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

This was another one of those long, tiring, travelling days!

We took the hostel's taxi to Kota Bharu bus station at 8:15pm for our bus to Kuala Lumpur. The bus left at 9pm, and was to arrive in KL at 5am. We stopped at 1am for food (well, I didn't eat but loads of people did. Mealtimes aren't as set here as at home) The break lasted for 45 minutes, and I just wanted to get going so we could make sure that we caught our flight at the other end.

We arrived at KL Putra bus station just before 5am and had to walk to Putra train station, which luckily was nearby. We got there at 5:20am and the train to KL Sentral train station was arriving at 5:43am, so we had to sit and wait when we were already tense about being late (me more than Aaron, I'm the worrier!) When we arrived at Sentral we discovered that we were too late to take the bus to the airport (which only cost just over 1GBP equivalent) as it takes 1 and a quarter hours (the airport in KL is 70 km outside the city! It isn't even in KL) so we had to get the express train which cost the equivalent of 10 pounds each. Pricy considering our rooms to sleep in cost a quarter of that and the journey was half an hour long! Even that didn't take us where we needed to go! it went to the main terminal, where all of the decent airlines fly too - we needed to budget LCC terminal which required another bus! This journey was 20 minutes, and we had to wait first - but amazingly we made it in time to be the required half-hour early for our 8:50am flight! Phew - tiring just writing all that!

The flight itself was fine - I have no qualms with AirAsia, and there was loads of room so we could stretch out and sleep (well I did, Aaron had a book to finish). We arrived at Chiang Mai and called the hostel who did free airport pickup. I think this was the first time we've managed to get this!

We headed out at 2pmish and had a look around. There are loads of book exchange shops, which were great to look around.

We than looked around the market and wanted most things (and learnt to barter!)

Chang beer is sold and seemingly loved everyhwhere around here - but Everton need to get their act together over here and make their presence felt! I saw 2 Cahill shirts at the night market and that was it (countless United, Liverpool and Chelsea though).

Advertisement



Tot: 0.241s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 69; dbt: 0.1654s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb