trekking in chaing mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
June 4th 2007
Published: June 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

we were in chaing mai for about a week, we managed to fit in quiete a lot of memorable things. the first night we got there we went thaiboxing, was pretty cool as there was a massive english guy fighting. was kinda hoping that a tiny thai guy would come out and wipe the floor with him. he didnt and the english guy won.

next day we went on a 3 day, 2 night trek. this was absolutely wicked! the first day was quiete hard core being as we were walking pretty much vertically at some points then lydia split her trousers...and we had a little rain too! other than that, the trek was very enjoyable. we were in a group of 6, there was me and lydia, rouri (irish), laura (australia), lee (canada) and our guide jay jay. the first night we stayed with a tribe and slept in huts which was pretty wicked. the local kids came up and sung for us which was quiete nice, only they wanted a song in return. luckily rouri took one for the team and belted out a traditional irish song, which the kids didnt seem to impressed with. then we made our guide sing like a virgin by madona...so so funny!

anyway, the second day was good fun, we trekked down the river to a couple of waterfalls, ate next to them and got to have a swim, which was awesome! that night we stayed up and had a few beers and played cards. was such a good laugh, especially as we all got on so well and were joined by another group!

the third day was the action packed day. we trekked down to the elephants and got to ride them around for a while. our elephant didnt stop eating the whole time and wasnt too bothered if he went into some awkward places to get food! the baby elephant that was travelling with us decided he was tired and randomly just crashed out, was pretty cool to see.

after the elephants we went white water rafting down the river, having never done this i was so looking forward to it. it didnt disapoint either, was wicked fun! after the hectic water rafting we chilled on the bamboo rafts a little further down the river.

the group decided tol meet up after we got back to chaing mai for some food and drinks at the irish pub, was good because everyone of us got on really well so we had a good giggle!

the next day me lydia went on a day trip to the golden triangle. this is where Burma, Laos and Thailand meet. back in the day this area was used for swapping drugs between the countries.

the last 3 days in chaing mai were spent just chilling, taking in the sights and sounds. we met up with rauri, laura and lee again before we all went our seperate ways.

i really liked chaing mai. it has a good blend of entertainment and culture. plus the people there seem a little more friendlier and town proud than those in bangkok.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



29th June 2007

elephant rider
thats the secondtime you've been on a bloody elephant!

Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb