City Tour and Night Market


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
February 7th 2007
Published: February 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Pickpocket Paradise Pickpocket Paradise Pickpocket Paradise

We left with wallets, but they were definitely lighter.
We started the day with an organized tour of the city proper. We went through several silk, silver and lacquer factories, which were very touristy but interestingly nonetheless. Wat (temple) Chedi Luang dates back to the 1400’s but was rebuilt after it was destroyed by an earthquake. The temple formerly played host to the famous Emerald Buddha now located in Bangkok. It now hosts dozens of stray dogs. The temple, which is the centre of many community activities, is also a humane society of sorts. When money is tight, local residents abandon their pet dogs at the local temple, which is known as a sanctuary for dogs (no cats to be seen). Buddhism calls for compassion and forbids killing any animal unnecessarily. Buddhists also believe in reincarnation -- and many Thais see dogs as people who may have misbehaved in a past life.

The monks who get their food daily from local residents, provide leftovers to the dogs. There's an old Thai saying that "temple dogs never starve to death.” There were a number of overweight dogs lounging around. One dog trailed around after us, looking to play. He was particularly persistent with Adrianne and I. Adrianne claims he is my new best friend.

Josh suffered a minor head injury in the pool when he swam into a concrete wall. He has now learned the value of swimming with your eyes open.

We had a terrific evening at the Chiang Mai Night Market - one of the best in Thailand. We had our first Tuk Tuk ride. 5 of us perched precariously on a modified motorcycle racing through the chaotic streets at high speed (restraints conspicuously lacking). The market was jam packed with people, food and everything from local handicrafts to copy watches and handbags. There was even a small elephant wandering through the stalls. Counterfeit products such as DVDs and computer software were on open display. Everyone got something at the market. I was pleased to pick up a series of elephants which were allegedly used to weigh opium. I doubt it, but for $40 it will make a fine addition to my office. Astrid and the kids had a Tarot card reading. Evidently, Astrid is destined to be a doctor and travel far from home. Toward the end of our visit to the market we picked up a Hill-tribe woman who was flogging a wooden frog. She gave Astrid trouble for touching Josh on the head (a major taboo in Thai culture). No matter what we did, she would not be dissuaded. Adrianne claims she is my new best friend.




Advertisement



8th February 2007

Not as big a fan as Jr
I thought I was your best friend!
9th February 2007

big fan
Yes, I am a big fan, but I am trying to lose weight. As I too have an adventure planned, but it involves flying an ultralight that only accepts a certain amount of pilot. Unfortunately the ultralight wouldn' be able to reach NZ, therefore it will be a local adventure!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0748s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb