Packaged Tourist Day!


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
December 24th 2006
Published: January 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Spinning SilkSpinning SilkSpinning Silk

Cocoons in water with fine threads being wound together
Our first day in Chiang Mai we had no plans so we ended up being offered, complimentry from our hotel, to take us around to see some of the local handicraft factories. We were shuttled between the different factories/shops in a van, but they were no more than 300m apart.

First stop was a silk factory. They showed us silk production, from the larva eggs to moths, extracting the silk from their cocoons, and a weaving loom. The 10 minutes of explaination was quite interesting, but before we realized the learning segment was over we were scurried into their showroom, which was at least five times the size of the factory. We scanned over thier various items for sale from silk scarves, suits and ties, pillow cases and bed spreads and decided that there were no deals to be found with the jacked up "tourist trap" prices.

Next stop: a laquerware shop where we could have stocked our home with vases, decorative plates, serving platters and much more. Unfortunatly, we don't have a home... so no purchases there.

From there we moved on to a jewerly factory and watched the workers file and shape rings and polish red rubies and diamonds. Afterwards, we spent some time in the showroom, the biggest jewerlly shop I've been in, mesorized by the blue saphires and diamonds all sparkeling under the bright lights. But, since I just spent most of my savings on gold bangles in India, I wasn't in the market for more jewerly.

From there, we had another taste of India in a shop across the road as Kashmirie Indians tried to sell us handmade Indian rugs and pashmina shalls. But, since I had the opportunity to but didn't buy any in India, I'm not about to pick up Indian handicrafts in Thailand. Another pass.

And lastly, a breif 20 second van ride later, we arrived at a traditional Thai umbrella makers. The least touristy of all the factory/shops we watched them plaster the paper and paint the umbrellas brilliant hues of blue, yellow and pink. After the base colour, they added on pictures of butterflies, flowers, elephants or dragons. They were quite good free hand artists and I got a little elephant painted in gold on my handbag. Well, it was originally Capri's handbag, we traded, but now the elephant solidified my ownership!

After four hours of free touring we arrived back at the hotel and signed up for an evening show of traditional northern Thai dancing and dinner. Dinner was mass-produced, mediocre and a bit cold but it filled the empty gaps in our stomachs. The first show of dancing was interesting: slow and deliberate movements. The second show of tribal dancing was better with more action and fire sticks. Overall the evening was fun and a successful taste of "tourist" Thailand.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Silk FabriclandSilk Fabricland
Silk Fabricland

It's a silk rainbow!
Boy in Thai Tribal ClothesBoy in Thai Tribal Clothes
Boy in Thai Tribal Clothes

Child of street vender selling Tribal artifacts


7th January 2007

Hey guys! Sounds like Capri is not as much of a seasoned traveller as you guys have become - but I'm sure things will sink in.... looks like you're having a great time!

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb