A busy weekend of goodness


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai
November 28th 2006
Published: November 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It was another action packed weekend of fun!

starting with a great day on friday where Mish and I went to an orphanage in the morning to do some paediatrics. it was so amazing, the little cuties even came up and gave me a hug and played ball, they were just so happy!

it was then followed by another crazy night at the night bazaar. we all trundled off first to a free jewish dinner where i dont think i could have felt any more out of place surrounded by religious israelis. it was particularly awkward when it came time to sing......in hebrew, i feel my identity was blown. but all in all it was definitely worth it for the free meal!

on to the actual bazaar.... we first made one woman fume trying to buy t-shirts, i dont think we have ever seen a thai so angry.. very funny! Our next venture involved the frog women again as Alana tried to get an outfit, but once you start with one they all just magnate to you, at one stage i swear we had about 15 surrounding us hounding us with 'bargains'. it doesn't matter how rude you are to them they still persist, i have been having a lot of fun playing with their minds!! on our way home from the bazaar we landed the coolest tuk tuk ever, it was seroiusly pimped out with flashing lights and its very own karaoke screen so we could sing along to some quality thai music along the way. we got his number so now we can call him anytime and anywhere and he will take us where we want!

The Trek


After a hearty brekkie we put on the packs we were given only to discover they were possibly the most uncomfortable packs known to man and were picked up by the Panda tours ppl. our group had the 7 of us plus the addition of an awesome italian called Monica. She was a bundle of fun and has come out with us since! We made one stop at a market and then landed at the elephant place where we had some lunch.

we went on an elephant ride for about an our. Liz and i were on a really sad nelly, but Alana and mish's elephant was much more exciting! As their mahout was smoking a serious joint their nelly got the munchies, standing on its hind legs to pull out a tree at one stage, it was very amusing!

After this we jumped back on board the truck to the start of the trek. Mish and i got to sit on the top of the car, which our bums really did not appreciate but it was much fun until we went off the beaten track and had to dodge the overhead branches, tho it kind of added to the thrill! After stopping at a waterfall for some to swim we began our walk. Most of the trekking was uphill, it wasn't too bad but did get the heart racing a little at times. Monica was annoyed that she landed on a tour with 7 physios, not helped by the fact that her shoes were 15 years old, but she kept smiling!

we stopped for the night in the Lahu tribe villiage and had our beds set up in a bamboo hut. we were all pooped and starving. Nong, our guide, cooked us an awesome dinner of yellow curry, but he could have cooked us anything and we would have sworn it was the best meal of our lives.

After all going smoothly we were all woken up at about 2am by what sounded like a million roosters taking it in turn to crow right below our hut. these lovely sounds were interspersed with many a dog fight, and sometimes we were lucky enough to hear the pigs making some noise too. they made for a great alarm.

we were back into it about 10 dredding putting the packs back on. The walk today was mostly downhill which is not so friendly on the toes. We stopped at a spectacular waterfall right before the end which had three sort of tiers. the top one you could jump into as it was deep, you then slid down a rock slide into the second one and then there was a longer waterslide type thing into the last pool. it was much fun! but to get over to climb up to the top you had to jump over the stream and unfortunately for Mishy she did not quite make it across and was dragged a little downstream. however somehow a little forthought saved her camera as she had put it down her top, very lucky!!

After lunch we went white/brown water rafting. it was not the most thrilling rafting experience was but made quite amusing as our two young guides were high. one in particular who kept doing flips off the boat and loved getting us stuck on the rocks. we then went bamboo rafting which was kind of lame and all a bit of a gimic if you ask me, but still fun.

So that was the end of the trek, all we had to do was pile into the truck and drive back to chiang mai!

We were all so very exhausted, so after some quality scrubbing time the others hit the hay as we all wanted a big night coz we had monday morning off and an afternoon of thai massage to come. It turned out to be an awesome night of dancing at a really cool reggae bar, it may have been just us and couple of spaced out american guys dancing but it was fun as! alana enjoyed some sweet time with BOTH american guys, very amusing i must say! after the police came to shut down the joint we stayed on with the band and bar staff sitting around a little camp fire to partake in a little sing-a-long complete with guitar and bongos!

Week 3


THis week has been sweet as so far. We had a good recovery session monday morning and then trundled off to the hospital to enjoy some thai massage. However the positions you get into are a little compromising but thoroughly enjoyable. Tuesday morn we had a whole hour and a half of clinic which is just following around a supervisor, but it is a killer. the woman could talk anyones ear off, i seroiusly needed homer glasses to survive! we then went to the thai massage school.

Today was a very clinical based day of thai cooking! i dont think we have ever been so full. my decision to have a v small brekkie was a wise one. we cooked 6 dishes and ate them all in about 4 hours. with the taste of our meals i think we could all open a thai restaurant when we get back and maybe even do a little massage on the side.

we are about to head out on the town again as it is the eve of lizzie's 21st!

the rest of the week should be pretty taxing! tomorrow, liz's bday, we are first having a bit of a sun session, followed by a mani and a pedi, then going to the much raved about flora show and then out for dinner. i am beginning to wonder if we are actually here on a clinical placement! On friday we head up to doi inthanon, highest mountain in thailand, with the 3rd year students for another trek like thing, with the whole language barrier we are a wee bit unsure of what we are getting ourselves into so we are going to go armed with some sangsom and thai red bull and make it a thai partay!

for those who got through this essay i commend you and apologise. i hope all is well! stay tuned for the next edition!

love jessie
xoxoxo



Advertisement



30th November 2006

Mum's question
Where are the photos? PS Sounds like you are having way to much fun - what about the work?
1st December 2006

heyjessie, glad to see your having a good time in Chang Mai...i think i was there just before you guys...its a really nice place. Sounds like we were at the same reggae bar..on the roof? Im now in Phnom Penh doing myplacement buthave missed two days with a stomach bug. Still its a good time. Keep up with the blog, i am slack and have not written a single mail! love G

Tot: 0.071s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb