"We're All Going On A Bamboo Submarine!"


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai » San Kamphaeng
August 13th 2011
Published: August 13th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Evidently on this trip we are incapable of arriving anywhere with a moments time to spare, and as per usual were cutting it fine unable to even cram in a snack shop on the way. It took us ages to try and find a way into the station after we found the entrances at the front were locked with iron chains and bars and the homeless settling down for the night in each door-way. We did manage to sneak in through the back door in KFC and later realised there was a side entrance with no doors on at all! To top it off we then had to weave our way past all the doughnut and cake stands to board for departure with me tagging behind hoping Scott would turn round and notice me drooling, waiting to give my best puppy dog - feel sorry for me eyes! He didn't! Anyhoo - our 3rd overnight train journey from Bankok to Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand went without a hitch for the whole 14 hour journey and our cosy cabin was the best we'd had yet. We played a few games of cards to pass some time and for once I was on a winning streak. Even the elderly local man who was in our cabin thought it was quite funny and laughed along everytime I whooped and did a littlee jig to celebrate. We snuk a quick ciggie in-between the carriages and settled down for the night ready for our early morning arrival.

We made it to Hollandri Guesthouse, our first accommodation option for two nights. The staff were pleasant enough, the food was edible with a relaxing garden area backing onto the river where local fishermen would be busy manning there casts. On the first evening we decided to walk to the Night Bazzar which we already knew was a bit of a long trek back into the main town. We made it fine and I finally managed to get that doughnut afterall and some dodgy looking pork skewers! The market itself was small in comparison to others we've been to with nothing of interest really so we re-fuelled on a coconut shake and set off back for an early night. The next day or two we mooched around with no energy to organise anything remotley strenuous. I did drag Scott out one afternoon to venture out in the blazing heat for a good few hours taking in the historic walled city and the nic-nac shops built within but found ourselves utterly exhausted so we took the opportunity to cool of in an air conditioned McDonalds and sink a few ice-creams each! Needless to say we parted ways with a whole pound for a breezy ride home in a tuk tuk only to find out it had been 40oC that day- Fark! This sparked an idea that we required a pool for the remainder of our time here and promptly checked out and in to MD House just in time for Scott's 21st birthday!

After enjoying a splish splash in our new penis shaped pool we were ready for our celebratory feast and headed off to enjoy Thai Cooking School! We each had to choose 5 dishes to prepare and eat so we decided to choose different and sample each others! (Which didn't happen as we both thought our own lovingly prepared platters were too scrummy to share!) After being shown round the local food market to learn about and gather all the ingredients needed, we donned our purple aprons and wielded our choppers...of the sharp silver edged knife variety ready to begin! So, as you'd expect we are now Thai cooking experts with the ability and knowledge to make curry pastes, soups, noodles, spring rolls and a few other tasty treats. We'll be cooking up a Thai sensation once were back and luckily for you we received a handy recipe book too. We genuinely loved everything we cooked it was super yummy so your in for a treat :-? Not only were we stuffed to within an inch of our lives we had a great night and met some lovely people... barr the yank kid who thought he was some pro chef embarassingly chopping like his life depended on it and continuously wanted everything hotter, sweeter, stickier than the rest. Two words "Annoying Fadge!" I kept hoping someone would add an extra handful of chillis or he'd wind up slicing his own finger off just to silence the overly confident, smarmy little git!

The next morning we mooched around and found a motorbike to rent. For £3 it was an abolute bargain and we were really pleased to be getting out on the road on our own two wheels. Much to my dismay Scott wouldn't allow me to drive even just for a short while. He insisted in trying to persuade me otherwise saying it's too busy, it's too heavy blah blah. To be fair the roads were absolutely heaving with other nutty motorists and it was a bit mental so I didn't put up much of a fight. I decided i'd wait till we get to an area that's quieter! One thing we noticed was a lot of is people with bandages on there legs which we assume is from them falling off and the exhaust pipe burning their skin off - Ouch! Luckily I had my very own professional bike stunt man chauffeuring me around - Scott! He'd yell now and then, "stop moving, don't lean now, your headbutting my helmet dumb-ass, put your feet down at the lights." He was like Hitler on a bike but he did manage to get us around for the day without a hitch so fair doo's! We sped off up to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep which was perched about 35km on a hill top and is supposedly the norths most sacred temple. The site was chosen by an hounered Buddha relic which was mounted ontop of a white elephant until it stopped and died on Doi Suthep thus making this the relic's new home. The ride out was fun, snaking through the mountains and stopping off along the way at a waterfall or two. Insence wafted through the air with people of all ages kneeling to pay their respects, pray and lay offerings of beautiful flowers. The view from the top was fantastic and we wandered round for an hour or so lapping up some culture for a change!

Earlier in the week we had booked onto to a 1 day adventure tour for roughly £20 each so this was to be our only major treat during our stay here. I really wanted to spend a day at the Elephant home but it wasn't remotely within budget so unfortunately we had to scribble this of our to do list early on :-( Our tour however did include a 1 hour elephant ride through the hills but to be honest I'd have rather have gone without. They were chained round there ankles and necks with what looked liked fresh wounds on there head, probably from the handlers when they obviously get too unruly for their liking. It's a real shame as there such giant, graceful animals. It definately wasn't something that we enjoyed. The rest of the trip was excellent though. We hiked 12km of thick jungle to reach a waterfall, balancing over rickety wooden planks laid over rivers and streams. We were hot and sweaty when we reached the waterfall itself but it was far too dangerous for a dip. It's rainy season here and the waters are murkey brown and too fast flowing. It had been raining heavy the day before too and it contined all afternoon. Next stop was White-water rafting and we were told that due to the high water it would be better than usual so we were ready... bring on the rapids! We - meaning I! Scott was terrified! But as always he gave it a go and absolutley loved it! We both did. Thankfully we didn't get tossed out but to be honest it wouldn't have made a differnece as the heavens opened and we were totally drenched within seconds. There was as much water in the boat than there was underneath it! We had a bonkers rafting guide who looked the spit of someone we know back at home, just an asian version obviously! He had us singing " Were all going on a bamboo submarine" and at the time we just thought this guy was crazy loco. But when we were told to jump out of the inflatable boat and onto a bamboo raft we then understood his joke! I decked it immediatley and horizontally fell onto my back with my feet in the air! When the boys wern't purpously trying to tip it, it was sinking anyway, a totally useless raft but great fun. We had such a blast that the 2 hour drive home all 8 of us pretty much fell asleep in the back of the jeep Zzzz!!

We were meant to be departing the day after but decided that due to the crappy weather we would stick it out for another day or two and wait for the roads to dry up as they were like rivers themselves after days of constant pouring. And were gald we did, the next morning we didn't wake up till late and our poor little legs were aching from the day before. We spent the last day doing absolutley nothing. We grabbed lunch round the corner and popped into a 7/11 newsagent for bags and bags of crisps, biscuits, ice-cream and other naughty snacks to pig out on while we bummed out in bed in front of the telly for an entire day. Bliss!

Chiang Mai itself was a lovely place with roaming monks, housewives transporting the family and the entire contents of the kitchen by motorbike, whilst elderly men leisurely sat about nattering amonst themselves. Moving every few days can be tiring and it's a welcome relief to chuck the backpack in a wardrobe and try and live normally for a few days minus eating out for breakfast, dinner and tea which is a bonus for me because i'm a lazy cook! Oh how I miss chocolate wheeto's and beans on toast!

Next post - Chiang Rai and the border crossing into Laos!

X x X


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.059s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb