Chiang Mai


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » North-West Thailand » Chiang Mai » Doi Suthep
March 4th 2013
Published: March 4th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Washing and FeedingWashing and FeedingWashing and Feeding

Matt post putting a banana in the elephants mouth!
Matt and I are so glad that someone suggested a night on a junk boat in Halong Bay. This was a vacation within a vacation. It was a rather long bus ride (3.5 hours) one way, but well worth it. It is foggy season in Halong Bay, but that almost made it more majestic. The bay consists of hundreds of small (mostly uninhabited) islands that just are spotted off the coast. There are some amazing caves on some of the islands that we got to explore, as well as kayak around the floating fisherman villages (complete with schools and dogs!). I am quite proud of myself for eating so much seafood (I am still not at the point were I enjoy it yet). We are meeting a lot of Austrailans on this trip, including 4 friends we made on the boat. It was amusing sitting on the top deck at night, having a nice convesation as we listen to some of the other 25 other junk boats singing kareoke.

The following morning (Thursday, February 28) we returned to Hanoi after some more island hiking and bay cruising. We enjoyed dinner and planned our one and only full day (Friday, March
Banana!Banana!Banana!

Me putting a banana in her mouth!
1) in Hanoi. We decided that after our cooking class (which was amazing..I'm so excited I finally know how to make a good spring/egg roll AND sauce, as well as a great salad and entree), that we would explore the Ho Chi Minh Complex. It was Friday so we could not see Ho Chi Minh himself but we did see the One Pillar Pogoda and Ho Chi Minh's Masoleum exterior.

On March 2nd we were making the change from Vietnam to Thailand! It was a long travel day since there is no direct flight to Hanoi to Chiang Mai as of yet (we had to go through Bangkok with a 4 hour layover). It is actually kind of nice to be forced to take a breather from walking and carrying our bags).

Thailand was much more humid but I was excited for curry. My stomach has not been as excited unfortunately. I was easily distracted from this yesterday when we went to the Elephant Nature Park, a sanctuary for abused, injured and homeless domesticated elephants. Elephants have the same rights as livestock here, which is none so they are used to generate income by people who sell fruits
Baby!Baby!Baby!

We got to see the 4 mnth old baby play in the mud with its mom
to tourist who feed the elephants, all while on the busy streets of Chaing Mai, Bangkok, etc. There werer 35 elephants and the sanctuary and we got to feed them, pet them and wash them. There was no riding them and no shows, exactly what I wanted to avoid. It was amazing to be so close to these brilliant animals. We returned to town on a natural high and used that to enjoy the Sunday Street Market. Today(Monday March 4th) is a full day in Chaing Mai and we are taking it easy. Tomorrow we will enjoy Jungle Flight, a day of ziplining through the jungle!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

The Surprising CaveThe Surprising Cave
The Surprising Cave

..at least parts of it.


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb