Kanchanaburi


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand
December 17th 2013
Published: December 29th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Were picked up at 6.30am for trip to Kanchanaburi - took about 1.5hrs to get out of Bangkok. After very speedy and terrifying drive, (mad Burmese driver), arrived at 9.30am at the JEATH (Japan,Europe, Australia (NZ), Thai), cemetery of the POW's who died whilst building the Death railway (Burma to Thailand). There are only 2 NZers buried here - gardener located them for us. Then went onto the Museum and to walk over the Bridge over the River Kwai.

Then caught train along track for about 1.5hours. This took us further up into the hills near the Burma border. From here we were driven to Hell Fire Pass - where we could see how the prisoners used minimal tools and worked long hours to clear a track through solid rock - another haunting place where so many died.

Returned via the Sio Nak Waterfalls. This was full of Russian tourists posing like super models as the water cascaded over them - even the men - it was just so funny watching them all.

Then it was onto our accommodation for the night. Well we had thought we would be staying in one of the lovely river hotels we had seen along the river - but no??? ours was bit of a shack with bamboo walls, corrugated iron toilet/shower area and a bath towel(sheet) for a blanket. Luckily it was only for one night and we just split ourselves laughing about it. In the morning we noticed that the toilets flushed directly into the river - which was really disgusting as we had been told we could swim off the deck (right next to our room) if we wanted to - luckily we hadn't attempted that.

We were then taken to an Elephant sanctuary for an elephant ride. This was really exciting and scary. We sat in a chair on their backs while we watched them feed. We then were able to slide down into the 'drivers' seat to walk then along the track. In all we were on the elephant for about an hour.

Afterwards there was a show put on by the elephants - they danced, threw darts at balloons and painted a picture (which I purchased for about $1.) Then you could pay a little extra and have the elephant pick you up with its trunk. Great experience that we can tick off the bucket list.

From the accommodation we then floated back down the river on a bamboo raft to a restaurant for lunch. Somehow the river didn't seem so picturesque after what we had witnessed further upstream - thought Thailand would have been more up-market than this. Wouldn't recommend this tour co. to anyone - they obviously skimp on things, were really pushing and think they may have been through one of our bags.

Stayed the next night at a homestay out near the Don Mueang airport (Bangkok). This was a very nice (cheap) place out in a village area of Bangkok - so the streets here were more like we had seen in Vietnam. Temples of gold and silver were right next door. Looking forward to the cleanliness of Singapore.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb