Bangkok


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
December 15th 2013
Published: December 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Spent the first afternoon in Bangkok getting our bearings. Nice lady assisted us as the information centre was closed. Visited a Thai jewellery and silk outlet shop - nice but too expensive for us. Wandered around one of the many department malls - a lot like Smith and Caughey's or Ballentynes.

Next day took lady's advice and caught the skytrain to Saphan Tabsin. Then caught a long boat to take us up to the Grand Palace. Should have taken the locals ferry as it would have been much cheaper - but an exciting experience on one of these long boats which are powered by a car engine and long prop off the end.

At the Grand Palace we were not allowed entry because we were both wearing shorts and I was exposing the top of my arms. So they have people there renting out clothing which we could put over our clothes - hence the funny dress sense you will see in the photos.

Grand Palace is exactly that - very grandiose - lots of gold and silver and very intricate panelling and statues. Will let photos speak for themselves. Inside here we also visited the silk museum and saw some of the beautiful thai traditional dresses worn by the Queen.

After the Grand Palace we crossed the river to Wat Arun, another Buddhist temple. Climbed us this - very scary!!!

Caught commuter ferry back (1/10th of the cost of the long boat) and a lot safer.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.045s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb