Koh Samet, 3 day island chill and an accidental Full Moon Party


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Samet
October 25th 2010
Published: November 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our first impressions of this island was the usual as before: an official travel agency that told us the accommodations are totally fully booked on the whole island due to a Thai national holiday and there is only one place where we need to pay a very high price for a hotel. Me, already outsmarted all travel agents (muhaha), didn't believe a word he said. This turned out to be a good idea as we did manage to find several options, and ended up staying at the National Park's bungalows for half the price, of course.
This is another place where Health and Safety rules are not known to anyone. There were electric plugs hanging outside my bungalow in the rain, the sockets inside were sparkling every time i plugged in something - so Im just alive due to pure luck actually.
There were so many bugs, mosquitoes and lizards everywhere that I just tried not to scream every time I took an ice-cold shower - yes, out in the open, like a camp site.
The beach was actually amazing, full of restaurants, bars, and white sand, and surprisingly not as touristic as we thought. First night out, we ended up in some beach club with a group of Dutch people. This resulted in some nice hangover the next day, so it was very cool to chill all day on the beach and drink coconut milk from a REAL coco! Yummy!
Lucky as we are, it was full moon that night, so we started drinking again. Buckets, what else?! 😊 There was a huge stage, many Thai people, tourists and very nice music on the beach. Also, some Thai teenage boys did a fire-show for us, that was second to none! At one point, we accidentally bumped into our lost Auzzie friend from Bangkok, Grant, so finally the glorious group of 3 was set to get hammered.
This succeeded very well actually, Grant and me hopping on Thai house/ karaoke (yes it is possible!) music with only Thai people and of course, ladyboys. It was hilarious! 😊
The next day an even bigger headache (thank you Long Island buckets..), but I didn't want to waste the whole day feeling sorry for myself, so we hired a taxi (and open car with 2 rows of seats) and we went to see the amazing red sunset on Koh Prao Beach witnessing a real model fashion photo-shoot as well.
The next morning we wanted to smart it out again the traveling/bullshitting part, so we got up at 5.00am to take the first ferry to the mainland that was supposed to leave at 6.00am. After rushing, paying a great sum for the taxi to the port we were told that there is no such ferry. We were made to buy another ferry ticket (even tough we had a return ticket) and was told the ferry will leave at 6.40am.
After around 7.15 we were still happily parking at the port when finally someone woke up the sleeping captain behind the steer and we were ready go..... I don't even want to mention the "captain" was about 14-15 years old. Of course, by the time we reached mainland there wasn't any buses to Bangkok, so we had to lay down for a few hours on the wooden benches at the bus station.
We finally managed to arrive to Bangkok, took a metro, a high speed train to the main train station (this consumed about 4 hours, as we were lost the whole time), but yeeehaaaa, we had our tickets to one of the worst trains in history, with 1000 people crammed in per carriages, wooden 90 degree-seats, disgusting food-sellers promoting salmonella and a "cute" smelly Thai junkie who really didn't want to understand that we do not speak Thai, so there is no point is explaining us his opinion about anything for hours and hours... But at last, we were on out way to Ayutthaya, our next destination!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.082s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0523s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb