Jungle Fever


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Ko Chang
August 19th 2006
Published: August 21st 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi all,
We're writing this article from a quiet little town, name Trat, approximately six hours ride south of Bangkok. We've just come back from the markets where several pig heads were on display alongside hairbands, rain macs, smelly fish and ridicously cheap Thai Dvd's for around $ 2. We didn't stay too long at the market, as our poor heads were still sore from celebrating our last night on Koh Chang island, where we stayed in an idyllic resort setting called Funky Huts. Funky huts was officially closed but the kind owner, Chris, his partner Oh and Safe were hospitable hosts and opened up. We had a great day and it was our heaviest session to date as we swapped stories. I keep telling amy to stop spoiling me and renting out the resort just for ourselves.

Anyways we arrived in Koh Chang island a week ago after crossing on the ferry from Trat. It was a nice trip reminding me of the good old days of the Hollyhead crossing except warmer. We were joined by several Hells Angels wannabees who we're guzzling down Chang ( the local Thai beer ) at 10 in the morning. It was a funny site seeing them rev their cycles as the boat docked. On arrival we jumped on board a songthaew (local island mode of transport, like an extended jeep with benches in the back).

The island is divided into three main beach resorts. We decided to stay at Hat Kai Bae because being gentle souls it was said to be the quietest white sand beach. We booked our beach hut which was overlooking the sea. It was great, this was what I expected Thai life to be like. The next morning we moved location which was basically two hundred yards further down as it was even cheaper and more scenic.

On our second day we decided to take an elephant trek. We were joined by five couples and we were all looking at each other nervously beforehand. Koh Chang is a jungle inhabiited by deadly cobras, nasty looking yellow black spiders and lots of other wildlife that I'm too ignorant to write about. So it was a magical experience treking through the lush green jungle on a well trodden elephant path marked by huge muddy puddled elephant hooves. Myself and Amy were stuck to our seats as we ventured through the jungle. Our guide was a lively 14 year old Thai boy and our nellie was called Kam Kao a 45 year old, and still going strong. We finished off by feeding the elephants bananas, they really do tuck away alot of food, mostly feeding on banana leaves.

The weather on Ko Chang was a little bit cloudy and rainy, interspersed with showers; not good for the tans, so we decided after 3 days of lounging and looking at the sea that we would move onto Bang Bao which is a village built on stilts. We thought that the town sounded interesting and we were not disappinted. Our accomadation was at the end of the pier overlooking the harbour and fishing boats. Bang Bao is a fishing village slowly transforming into a tourist destination. Our accomadation reminded me off a ill fated hoilday in Fenit in County Kerry, my folks will understand when reading this, except that we stayed a bit longer this time. We managed to find a beauiful beach on one of the days and went in for a dip. It was lovely and warm but we didn't venture too far, hearing stories of 2 people having drowned in the island a couple of days before. Indeed it is an island of adventure the roads were littered with tourists revving their motos around. It only costs aound 3 dollars to hire a bike and it uses red diesel which look like bottles of soda pop at the side of the road. They look kind of refreshing at a distance until you discover the truth.

I heckled Amy a few times ino hiring and commandeering a bike but she stood firm which was a good thing as we spotted several people limping around the island. Amy's other constant worry was her fear of stray dgs. The place was littered with them and there was no sanctuary.

Next stop Cambodia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.189s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 18; qc: 86; dbt: 0.1448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb